Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More See more Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

15 January 2017
I finished reading this a few days ago and it resonated on a number of levels. I have been through a degree (commerce) which covers the material in the first few chapters and in the first few years of my working life I was exposed to TQM. It also reminded me of text analysis principles like exegesis and eisegesis and to some degree the Japanese concept of Shu-Ha-Ri.

The work Paul and Kailash have done is significant as it debunks the myth that problems can be solved using a cookie-cutter approach and that pulling a few levers will give you a different outcome. We cannot jump over the step of understanding the current context by using a model which has conditions that don't match what we are looking at. It seems almost counter-intuitive that using a model will give different answers for different situations - as the authors rightly point out. This is similar to eisegesis (I have a model, how do the facts fit?), for those familiar with text analysis. Paul and Kailash have produced a great piece of exegetical work. I hope that there is less proliferation of simplistic models as we embrace uncertainty and ambiguity.

PS I have worked with Paul and seen some of this first-hand.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink