Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More See more Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

15 January 2017
I finished reading this a few days ago and it resonated on a number of levels. I have been through a degree (commerce) which covers the material in the first few chapters and in the first few years of my working life I was exposed to TQM. It also reminded me of text analysis principles like exegesis and eisegesis and to some degree the Japanese concept of Shu-Ha-Ri.

The work Paul and Kailash have done is significant as it debunks the myth that problems can be solved using a cookie-cutter approach and that pulling a few levers will give you a different outcome. We cannot jump over the step of understanding the current context by using a model which has conditions that don't match what we are looking at. It seems almost counter-intuitive that using a model will give different answers for different situations - as the authors rightly point out. This is similar to eisegesis (I have a model, how do the facts fit?), for those familiar with text analysis. Paul and Kailash have produced a great piece of exegetical work. I hope that there is less proliferation of simplistic models as we embrace uncertainty and ambiguity.

PS I have worked with Paul and seen some of this first-hand.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink