Top positive review
Awesome bang for the buck
Reviewed in Australia on 29 October 2020
For unsealed airpod style earbuds these are excellent. Probably the best of the cheaper lot. I tried the closest alternative, the sound liberty 92, and the soundpeats true air 2 are a whole step above. Sound as good if not better than airpods.
- pair fast enough, great BT connection in use
- very light, fit secure enough to jog with
- great mic quality, with much better voice pickup in wind than my older pixel buds
- connects using aptx hd
- sound is good and clear but slightly high treble, so I wouldn't use them for all day listening, gets exhausting.
- almost no lag on videos, which is an improvement over my old pixel buds
- don't move while jogging, and the assistant picked up my voice while windy. This is a nice plus.
Cons (though at this price most of these cons can be easily ignored):
- case needs a led battery level light
- connecting could be faster - expensive buds have sensors in the case so the buds start connecting to the phone soon as you open the case, these only wake up after you remove the buds from the case. Since each bud only wakes up after its removed from the case, the second one connects a few seconds later.
- touch area is a pain to target, I wish they would add a second sensor in the stem to squeeze to summon Google assistant instead of the current triple tap which is a bit hard to do for ppl without Olympic level finger dexterity.
- a big con: I have paired the headphones with my phone and pc, but once connected to one device initiating a connect from another device does nothing. I need to turn off the eabuds, turn of BT on phone then turn on the earbuds for then to connect to my laptop.
Wishes for the next version:
- add a lanyard hole to the case, it's too small and slippery, would like to attach a string to it.
- add a squeeze sensor to the stem, it's much easier to squeeze that than to target the current small touch area.
- make a soundpeats app to customise taps and sound.
- make your product line clearer, there are way to many similar earphones! Took a bit of research to realise this is the current newest and bestest non in-ear soundpeats.
- The case needs a lid sensor which wakes up the earbuds as soon as the case opens.
- when a connection request is sent from a already paired device earbuds should connect to it.
- change the case to an airpods style one, the current one is a lot more awkward to open. There is a reason why Apple and Google went with a verticle style case, you can open it easily one handed.
- a general soundpeats request: stop changing out products from the same amazon listing, its a scammy thing to do, there are reviews of older soundpeats products mixed with newer ones for the same listing.
Overall, these are close to 5 stars, just a few more tweaks needed for full 5 stars.
2021 update: My dog ate my original trueair2 earbuds, and surveying the landscape a few months later, I didn't see anything else better than this in the 30-100AUD price range. So bought another pair for AUD37 during of the many soundpeats sales.
Interested in what the trueair3 looks like, hoping soundpeats releases a "pro" version of this kind of open earphone.