Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

Midnight Blue
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:A$3.99

#1 REVIEWERon 19 January 2018
I haven’t read a truly broken alpha male character in some time, and wow does LJ Shen know how to write one beautifully. The angst, drama and emotions make this story far from pretty but also makes it very special and totally compelling. Shen hasn’t held back and delivered a passionate bittersweet story overflowing with emotions.

Alex is the lead singer of one of the most successful bands in the world. When his fiancée leaves him for his best friend… he spiraled downward into a cycle of addiction and has just completed rehab. He is still miserable and as a result, he tries to ensure that those around him feel the same pain by being rude & offensive. ‘Disgusting. Gorgeous. Rude. Sexy. Screwed-up. Witty. Broody. Unbearable. Trouble. Trouble. Trouble. Alex Winslow was all those things and more’
“Alex Winslow was a tornado, impacting everything and everyone on his way to destruction.”

His agent has decided that he needs someone to ensure that he doesn’t fall back into his bad ways, enter Indigo...
Indie is a good girl. Raised by her brother after her parents died, she still lives with him, his wife and their super cute son Ziggy. As she is described by her sister in law ... “All you want to do is sew and play with Ziggy. You’re the mother of all introverts. When we watched Bubble Boy together—you envied the poor kid for living in solitude.”
Everything is a struggle for them despite juggling jobs. When Indie gets the opportunity to earn a crazy amount of money being the PA (aka babysitting) of a rock star for 3 months, she cannot turn it down as it would mean so much for her and her loved ones.

Their first encounter is explosive, and the hatred between them so palpable that you feel it through the Kindle…
“I’m looking at my worst nightmare.” She blinked, almost willing herself to un-see me. If nothing else, she was bloody honest. Taking a step in her direction, I made sure we were toe-to-toe, my cigarette dripping ash down to her hair when I whispered the words, “I’m not your nightmare, sweetheart. Nightmares, you wake up from. With me, I’ll keep going until you’re out of my hair. We clear?”

Two opposites thrown together always makes for an explosive read but When Indie turns out to be more than Alex could have ever imagined, things take a turn... And as it progresses you feel their love building. She is his muse, and his lifeline. He is her forbidden fruit, her drug she craves. ‘Because when Alex was hurting, he wanted the entire world to hurt with him. And in that moment in time, I was his world. I should have felt disgusted by what he’d done. I should have wrapped myself up in a towel, stormed after him, and given him a piece of my mind. But all I did was smile into the pillow like the stupid, lust-struck girl I was. My Alex. My little prince.’

I thought their rocky relationship was unmendable, especially when presented with a twist I didn’t see coming...

I’ll admit Alex’s hard personality took getting used to and his obnoxiousness and sarcasm made me want to jump into the book and shake him sometimes! But underlying that is a deep and very interesting character you can’t help swiping and getting to know.
‘He was saving me from drowning in dark thoughts about my family. He was no knight in shining armor, a far cry from a savior. He was just a broken, sad boy who was given a great gift that put him on display for the world to see and to judge. And that boy saved me that day.’

Narrated in past tense from a dual point of view makes for easy reading,
LJ Shen creating something I could not put down it is heart wrenching and beautiful at the same time. This is my new favourite from this author and I never thought I’d ever love anything more than ‘Sparrow’!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 January 2018
I'm always skeptical when I look at the many high ratings when deciding on a new book, as I've read far too many duds that reviewers have given a 4 or 5 star BUT rest assured MIDNIGHT BLUE is deserving of every bright yellow star it gets! I am a fan of Shen's work, not all her stuff but most. She writes a brilliant broken hero like not many others can, VICIOUS is a top favourite of mine but I digress, I loved Alex and Indie and the witty exchanges had me laughing out loud and I read with a smile on my face a lot of the time. MIDNIGHT BLUE (for me) had the perfect balance of music bad boy complete with lyrics which gave you more of an in-depth understanding of Alex. The text exchanges between Jenna, Hudson and Indie were so damn hilarious I couldn't get enough of them. Shen really out-did herself on the complete uniqueness of the secondary characters, well done! Because of the brilliance of all of the afore-mentioned above, I rated this a 5 star but I was a little disappointed, just minutely, with the last few chapters. I wanted more... groveling perhaps or what came after that or more of them as a couple with their new dynamics, anyway regardless of my issue, this IS a book to read!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 January 2018
Leigh Shen did it again. Her words are amazing and inspirational and beautiful. This story is a tease. It alludes to something big all the way through, gently building and sucking you in with her words. Then she throws it at you and you have to find a way to survive to the end. But again, her words calm you down and fix your heart. I loved Indie and Alex’s story. Pure Starburst.
on 12 February 2018
Not gonna lie, this was a hard book to get through for me. I didn't have a lot of love for Alex at all until maybe 65%. I was told "don't give up" by a friend and I am glad I didn't.
Indie is someone that everyone could be friends with, with a side that not many people saw. She was vulnerable, caring and lovable.
Alex on the other hand was someone I loved to hate. He was so damaged and jarring that it was hard to see through the layers.
L.J. Shen wrote two characters who intertwined first on a physical level and on an emotional one. And I applaud them for making fall in love with Alex... eventually.
If you are up for a book that makes you feel and at a decent length, this is for you.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 February 2018
L J Shen you have a fantastical and a magical minds.
Midnight blue has destroyed me and killed me and brought me back to life.
It's intensity is soul shattering.
My heart still beating erratically after reading your incredible story.
There are great books, awesome even. But your book ' Midnight Blue beyond amazing. It changed me from the inside out.
on 6 February 2018
I have just finished midnight blue after binge reading. Wow. Just an amazing story, so many feels. I love Alex and Indie. Fantastic read, loved the other characters like Lucas (he needs his own book... hint hint) and the real life problems that they all face.
on 9 February 2018
If you love a good Rockstar romance book with plenty of ups and downs, then this is the book for you.
Indigo has a heart of gold and the self absorbed Alex soon realises how special she really is.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 January 2018
Loved this book about broken people and what it takes for them to want to mend.
Loved Indie and how giving she is to those she loves, how she spoke back to Alex when others wouldn't, and how she saw who he really was.
Alex was broken long before he met Indie, but she really woke him up and he slowly started to remember who he was and what he loved. It was fed a slow process and not always for the right reasons, but he also really saw who Indie was and knew she deserved better.
I know this is supposed to be a stand alone, but i want more Indie & Alex and their friends.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 January 2018
Midnight Blue is my first ever L.J. Shen novel and I look forward to reading everything else she has written and ever will write because O M G this book was amazing. Ignoring the fact that the blurb, that every single teaser, that the hot as all hell cover had me super excited to read this book, I opened up to one absolutely outstanding prologue!!!!! A seemingly simple gossip rag article - it was pure perfection. So much so I made a note of it straight away because I didn’t want to forget the awesomeness of the start of this story. And throw in the “comments” at the end of the article and I was in love with Midnight Blue straight away.

💙🎸💙🎸💙🎸
💙🎸💙🎸💙🎸

Indie Bellamy sums up Alex Winslow - rock god, recovering addict and cocky, arrogant man - absolutely perfectly. This is the guy that she has been tasked to “nanny” - his sobriety companion to keep him away from everything that could get him in “trouble” - and Alex is not an easy man to get along with. L.J. does a brilliant job of portraying a realistic look into life with a rock god when the man in question is as messed up as Alex is. There’s no sugarcoating, there’s no fantasy rock star life - what you see is what you get. Of course there’s so much more to Alex, and that comes out naturally over the course of the story. Any changes are not instant; everything flows in such a way that you will not be able to put this book down. I devoured it in less than 24 hours because it is just THAT good!

I absolutely loved every single word of Midnight Blue - even when I was hating on a character - because the writing forces you to feel everything Indie and Alex feel, and you want them to get their Happily Ever After; even though it seems nigh on impossible.

One of my top reads for January, Midnight Blue is definitely a book I’d recommend one-clicking, reading and falling in love with. I know it’s early days but I can definitely see it featuring on my “top” lists for the year already - it’s too incredible not to be there.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 January 2018
Honestly, it took me until around 48% before I even remotely wanted to like Alex.
But I didn't, I had to keep reading until around 78% before I found anything redeemable about him to like.
I thought he was a nasty, cruel addict, that took out his pain and anger on everyone that was around him.
Indigo was the complete opposite of Alex, she was kind and caring and loving and she had suffered so much more heartache in her life.
So, after all these emotions I was thrilled to finally see the real Alex Winslow, and really truly like him, and want him to have his HEA with his Stardust.
As always Leigh Shen`s writing will blow you aware, she will make you feel everything and leave you wanting more.