Top critical review
Good but with a lot of issues
26 July 2019
The headset, when working well, is very good. The sound quality is very good, the microphone is very good for communicating with my gaming mates.
However, there are some problems. Each of them is manageable on their own, but they stack up to the point where I'm looking to replace these. I've had them for 4-5 months now.
- They're not that comfortable for more than and hour or two. The top band creates a small amount of pressure which becomes a little sore after a while. I also have to take my earrings out to play or I end up with sore ears.
- The battery never charges to full. The best I get is 78%. This may improve if you charge directly to a power outlet, but I have mine charging from USB on my PC. I have no power outlets on my powerboard left to use! The charge is a bit inconsistent too. After having it plugged in for a while, I'll use them and they'll have no charge. I'll then have to use them while they're also plugged in and charging, which brings me to my next point...
- Using the headset while charging gives a constant static noise. This is consistent 100% of the time when charging while using the headset. This alone is becoming a deal-breaker and I wish I knew this before buying.
- It doesn't always turn on. I've had plenty of occasions now where I get the audio message of "powering on, mic on" but nothing happens. I can't hear anything and the mic doesn't work. I have to turn them off (where I get the "powering off" message) and on again and it will then work fine.
- The headset has loud pops. These pops are worst of you don't have direct line of sight with the USB dongle. I had to relocate mine to the top of my PC to fix this. Even then, I still get pops. These pops are LOUD. So loud at times it hurts my ears. Some days, there are none and it's fine, other days it's horrible. I'm not sure if this is just my unit or a common problem, but this alone is a major problem for me.
PS Anyone wanna buy a second hand HS70? :)