Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

What Was Rescued
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:A$1.49

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 November 2017
I really enjoyed this book, regarding a group of children during World War 2, being evacuated from wartorn Britain to Canada. During the voyage, the ship sank. Some years later the story concentrates mainly on 3 of the survivors, who met again at a survivor reunion.I couldn't believe Arthur, who was an aeronautical engineer, could make such stupid choices and let himself be infatuated and completely deceived by another female survivor, who turned out to be a complete scheming psycho. Another survivor, Dora also made some extremely poor decisions. However, some years later, Arthur and Dora with maturity finally came to their senses. The ending was how I was wishing it to be.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 September 2017
The book didn't quite turn out as I expected. I'm not sure what I was looking for, but 2 people making poor life choices wasn't it. How a so-called intelligent man could fall for such an abhorrent, manipulative and self-centred woman is beyond me. Arthur's choices were just annoying and pathetic. Dora, on the other hand, was much younger and it was more understandable that she was duped in the first instance, but going back to France with Ralph the 2nd time was just plain stupidity. I think the underlying disaster as the backbone of the story had potential, I just felt disappointed with the direction the author took.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 November 2017
I found this book very engaging. Indeed it is quite an undertaking. The underlying story of star-crossed lovers is set in the context of a war-time evacution of children from Britain. The consequences of the behaviour of four of those children dominates the book. Several issues are examined in this book, all of which challenge our concepts of where truth lies and what is acceptable behaviour. The author also explores childrens' perceptions and the effect of class in Britain. It is a very fulfilling work.
on 19 August 2017
Terrific story with well developed characters. I couldn't wait to read it everyday and I'm sad that I have finished it.
One of those stories that stay with you for a while. I read a book a week and although I enjoy most of them, sometimes I struggle to remember the content 2 weeks later. Well worth the $2 investment. Highly recommend.
on 19 November 2017
A compelling story written so well, it was hard to believe its a work of fiction. At times I wanted to throw the book away, because the characters would do or say such damning things. To get an audience to feel compelled to want to 'hurt' a book character, is the sign of a brilliant writer.
The onlh reason full marks were not issued, is thag I feel that the reader deserves a more complete 'epilogue'. Not all questions were answered, and the story appeared to repeat itself a bit.
on 1 December 2017
Cograts Jane, a well written chronological order of events, as they exciting unfold; between Arthur and Dora. Highlighting the blind faith that we have in situations, that meet our base requirements.
on 28 August 2017
I rated this story highly because I personally identified with two of the children and because I simply found this book entertaining and the characters of the children kept me reading to discover why they acted as they did and how their lives would turn out considering the stress of their past.
on 13 February 2018
Good read
TOP 10 REVIEWERon 19 August 2017
Until halfway through this is a five star book with a gripping story, an intriguing mystery and well drawn characters. Then it runs out of plot and gets a bit silly.

It starts with flashbacks to a WW2 shipwreck and the rescue of a group of children from the seas. Not all survive however and the mystery of what happened to kid no. 4 gives the book a lot of its momentum. Once the mystery is revealed the book loses steam and we are left with people who are very easily deceived by psychopathics. Yet it is not the evil baddies that irritate, but the stupidity of the protagonists. Most of their life decisions are so dumb you wonder how they had enough brains to climb into a lifeboat in the first place. Uncharitable I know, but this author writes so well it is annoying that the characters' IQs do not live up to the book's promise. It's worth reading, though.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 August 2017
I enjoyed every single word, it was so real and thoroughly entertaining! The way when we are younger, immature and not very wise, we misread the way others especially parents really feel about us. How it's not until we are older that we can see how wrong we have been about a generation that didn't openly show a great deal of love and affection to us as children. This novel gave me much food for thought, made me look back and see my life differently. I didn't want this book to end, and I look forward to reading more of this authors work! It was more like 6 stars!