Learn More 50 million songs to make the moment Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 December 2016
You know when you read a popular book and you think "huh?!"
This.
For what is meant to be Adult SciFi/Fantasy, a large proportion of the book is based around the MCs in school. But then even when they are adults, their characters and dialogue never matures. So you end up with this weird YA vibe, but with occasional course language and a sex scene that just comes out of nowhere.
All of the characters are completely annoying and horrible, save for perhaps the AI, and are just caricatures of stereotypes. The amount of cruelty and bullying violence described was completely unrealistic and a poorly written attempt at character development.
I can't possibly explain all the things wrong with this novel, it is just a massive MESS. I absolutely forced myself to finish it purely because it was a group read with my book club, but otherwise I would have put it down and regretted that purchase by about 15%.
The only reason this gets a second star is because of the occasional Pratchet-esque humour which was the only thing I liked about this book.
Charlie Jane Anders, you are just not for me.
4 people found this helpful
on 3 May 2018
I didn't finish this. I appreciate that the author has an exceptional mastery of prose, but the story just didn't draw me in. I see that from other reviews, this is a divisive novel. I'll fence-sit between appreciation for the craft and not wanting to go for the ride.
on 7 January 2018
Nice 1st person story. Unadraid to talk sexually. But prophecy never occured. Ending was too simple. The book mostly focuses on the friend/romantic relationship between two potential enemies who overcome all odds to maintain theur relationship and ultimately save the world together. .
on 13 April 2017
Don't start this book unless you have the time to finish it, then and there. You risk getting fired, divorced, burning your house down, or staying on the train until it ends in the dodgiest neighborhood.
You. Have. Been. Warned...
on 14 September 2017
I absolutely adored this book. Such clever writing, such an imaginative story - one of those books I found myself slowing down with in the last minutes as I didn't want it to end. Hard to define - not quite all YA, not quite all adult, but totally worth reading.
on 4 January 2017
The 2nd half of the book just didn't carry as much finesse as the first, with a rushed ending and the deus ex machina solution i just feel a little bit short changed from the strong start.

Nonetheless i definitely enjoyed her style of storytelling and look forward to her next work.
on 3 August 2017
Started off as a kids book but don't be fooled. Totally engaging writing style and a real joy to read
on 14 January 2017
really interesting read - very unusual
on 26 August 2016
Jarring. Chaotic. Nonsensical, except for the eco-disaster theme. True evidence that one can write and sell anything. At least it was well edited.
One person found this helpful
on 3 July 2018
Resembles a non-comedic Good Omens, which, being my all-time favourite book, is high praise from me. Literary, sci-fi, fantasy all mashed up into an seamlessly interconnecting network.