Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now learn more Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

on 11 August 2016
The book title is suggestive yet intriguing. It drew me into an autobiography loaded with hope and forgiveness amid brokenness and evil.

Carrie presents her story with poise and dignity. She resists playing the “victim card”. Instead, Carrie reports her past, at times, like an objective journalist, and at others, like a frightened child.

The book structure is appropriate and compelling, as Carrie tells her story in the first person but jumps back into her childhood at critical points to retell harrowing experiences from her past. I admire her courage in doing so.

Carrie lets you into the very personal corners of her heart as she explains the deep thoughts and emotions pulsing through her veins during unspeakable acts of evil being committed against her. If she was any more explicit, I believe only a few would be able to stomach reading her story.

Some things are clearly still too traumatic to reveal: “For my own self-preservation, I can’t allow myself to share what happened next. To this day, it is something I have never spoken of.”

Given what Carrie has endured, she is very respectful of her perpetrators. Not only that, she has been able to forgive. Resisting the urge to lay blame, Carrie continually takes the high ground.

At times, you sense that Carrie wishes her biological mother had followed through with aborting her before she entered the world. No child should have to endure what Carrie did. It is hard to believe so many evils could be committed against one person. My heart breaks for Carrie’s past, and any child that experiences such evil.

Key themes Carrie visits and revisits as her story unfolds include forgiveness, freedom, destiny, perseverance and hope.

For a first time author, Carrie writes like an accomplished wordsmith. This was surprising. How does a lady who endured such a traumatic childhood manage to receive an education which allows her to write with eloquence? Here’s an example: “Shame began to well deep inside of me, eroding any sense of dignity I’d managed to hold on to. Although I knew what happened to me was not my fault, as Paula sat there in judgement, self-doubt became an enemy I was left to battle on my own.”

This autobiography is a worthy addition to the fields of child abuse, slavery and redemption. It is a story of survival against the odds. This is an important work because most severe abuse happens in the darkness. It is never reported. A life is destroyed and no one knows.

Carrie states her purpose for writing the book in the prologue:
“Perhaps I can be a reminder for everyone: no matter how damaged we may be, it is possible to rise above our past and make that flight on broken wings.”
on 16 December 2014
Such courage is beyond my comprehension. This story is absolutely gut wrenching in it's brutality and shocked me to the core. Carrie, you are the most amazing lady and deserve every happiness for the remainder of your life. What a purely good soul you possess. I doubt I'll ever get over the pain of reading this book, which at times I'd wished I could've just put down and try to forget such cruelty could ever exist in the world.
on 29 April 2016
I have read a lot of horrific abuse cases but this is one of the worst, she is one of the most remarkable brave women out there.
on 5 November 2016
A truly remarkable read written by a truly courageous woman. Thank you for sharing your story of survival and the building of your new life.
on 3 November 2014
As heartbreaking as this story is, I could't put this down! It feels like I personly know Carrie after reading her story. A truly amazing woman.
One person found this helpful
on 18 February 2015
Stunning true story. We don't realise how good we have it until you read this book
on 19 February 2015
Amazing! Beautiful brave soul Carrie is! Gives me hope and courage. Her words are just fantastic.
on 20 May 2015
The most amazing story of such hardship and survival.Carrie is an inspiration to everyone.
on 11 February 2015
An unbelievable story of survival against evil and all odds. An uplifting and inspiring ending.
on 13 May 2015
A very difficult biography to read as the disclosures are so horrifying. But worth persisting with, as it gives us a real insight into the terrible trauma that some 'ordinary people' have to deal with.