Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now learn more Learn More Shop Now Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More

on 10 April 2018
A very good read it certainly kept my interest. A book that you do not like to come to the end of.
on 27 March 2018
This was a very satisfying read. I found the research and associated information just right, not overwhelming at all. However, every so often I delve into my own family history and spend time trying to connect up the dots, so that may explain why I enjoyed it so much.

I have a few questions though - how much must it have cost Peter Sefton to continually order certificates and purchase historical documents? As fascinating as it is, I draw the line at paying for these except through a membership of an online site to gather information. When it's not even your own family, it seems even more unusual that a stranger would make such an effort.

I had my own suspicions that we would find out that Peter was actually related after all, through a lost branch of the tree. I also had my own suspicions about another character's eventual outcome, which was confirmed at the very end. However, although I could see its likelihood, it really didn't need to be there. It failed to explain exactly who may have been mistakenly identified instead. It also brings up further questions as a result.

However, overall, it's a really enjoyable read.

I do agree that the visuals of the certificates on the Kindle were unsatisfying. They were difficult to read, and you couldn't seem to make them bigger. It didn't detract from the overall great story though.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 March 2018
Better than I was expecting although it was a bit repetitive half way through. Enjoyed the earlier storyline very much and the follow up towards the end was ok. Still not a bad read overall.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 February 2018
The author makes a genealogical search into quite a thrilling ride. The story unfolds with plenty of hints of what is to come, which don't in any way detract from the revelations as they emerge. Initially it's difficult to keep track of all the events and characters, but do persevere - it is worth it. I loved the sting but it wasn't a surprise. I have to confess that Genealogy is my passion but even so I think this book has a wide appeal. Very well constructed with fascinating insights into historical events and social morés.
on 5 August 2017
I found this book intriguing. The story had a lot of twists and turns but wasn't difficult to follow. It could have definitely been a true story during the War years. I couldn't put it down until the last page.
on 31 December 2016
A good read. I finished it quickly. It moved along well. Being into family history I loved the false trails. Good tension. The epilogue did not surprise me but I wanted to know exact point of departure! I will have to see if I missed it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 8 December 2016
The story was a little hard to follow initially but once I got into the book, it was quite enjoyable. Couldn't quite follow the epilogue but maybe I just didn't remember all the characters in the book.
on 30 August 2016
Interesting reaqd
on 28 July 2016
Interesting premise for a story.
TOP 10 REVIEWERon 28 May 2016
'The Marriage Certificate' by Stephen Molyneux was an enjoyable mystery depicting secrets, life decisions and their impact on all involved.
The Marriage Certificate begins as Peter Sefton finds a marriage certificate on the wall of an antique shop. On impulse, he buys it and begins to research the couple in the photo...very topical considering our love of finding our own ancestory. The information he digs up is fascinating and full of twists and surprises. The history that accompanies the narrative is just as interesting and helps to bring a sense of realism to the whole scenario.
The impact of those past secrets, decisions, tragedies etc. reaches out to Peter, too. He becomes an investigator more than just an interested researcher, as the mystery deepens and connects with the present.
I was surprised by the ending and found myself wanting more. While it was an original storyline, I dropped off a star because the book was in need of editing, particularly when creating fluent connections between the different scenes.
2 people found this helpful