Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now learn more Best of 2018 So Far Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

on 24 June 2015
Great study of the development of the first modern dictionary from an unusual angle. The journalistic approach helps to make the investigation of the development of this dictionary a good read! There are lots of things that the reader can learn. I did not know for example that this was the first to include examples of usage derived from literature. I had always found this feature very helpful in understanding a word's proper usage.
on 12 June 2018
Another Simon Winchester classic.
on 12 April 2014
I learnt all there is to know about the Greater Oxford Dictionary and found it to be an entertaining story as well
on 18 September 2014
As a lover of language I read this book with joy. It will not appeal to everyone, but it should . It gives us a great insight into the beauty and scope of the English language. As well it lets us understand how the OED came about, and the life of one of its most prolific contributors - the mad surgeon.