Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Best of 2018 So Far Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

on 16 March 2017
I had heard this book was good and now I know why. If you are a writer, especially if you tend toward the melancholy or pessimistic side of things, this is a book you will treasure. Anne's warm, sharp, sarcastic, sometimes dark, sense of humour makes you laugh, even as you come to understand more about what "being a writer" is all about. I found much of the book incited a sort of vicarious catharsis. This is definitely a book to be savoured and quoted. There are not many books I read over and over, but this is one I will.
on 11 August 2017
A down to earth, hilarious and heart felt book about being a writer and why one would ever choose to run that gauntlet with eyes wide open. Thank you Anne! I had lost sight of the WHY. Reading your book has put me back on the roller coaster with renewed excitement.
on 4 February 2017
It was so good to read this story, to realise how normal frustrations are when writing. It gave me a lot of comfort and gave me some excellent ideas. It helped me put the writing journey into perspective.
on 11 February 2018
The best help book on writing I've read (and I can see 15 on my bookshelf). Do yourself a favour. Funny and helpful.
on 29 April 2015
Anne has a delightfully informal, intuitive way with words that is the best thing any aspiring writer could read. She is so entertaining, self deprecating, and insightful and has kept me on that road. Thank you so much. I love your style!
on 28 May 2014
I loved how Anne Lamott shares her heart with the reader -and her writerly neuroses. I found that I could identify with her and thus fight my way through blocks to my own writing. An excellent book for those who sometimes struggle to make their art.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 November 2014
Great book!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 September 2016
I began my writing journey last year, fairly unprepared. I read a lot, and on a whim, decided I would have a go at writing the book that I want to read. Since then, I've been working my way through a pile of books and blogs full of writing tips. This is a book I've seen recommended several times by authors I admire, so I bought the audiobook.

I enjoyed the laid back, conversational style. It's not a dry list of rules, it's full of anecdotes and entertaining stories. Most of the advice matched up with what I've read elsewhere and it was good to have it cemented in my mind.

One step at a time.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2017
It's comforting when a book about writing is well written; it’s motivating when it is also as warm, raw, humorous and useful as Bird by Bird. Anne Lamott is an engaging storyteller and this is no dry technique manual. Anne gives generously of her own experiences to bring the reader this guide to being a writer, which, true to the subtitle, contains plenty of wisdom for blustering through the rest of life as well. You’ll laugh and cry and want to be Anne’s best friend, as you get to know her and feel like she knows you too. And then you might even knuckle down and write.
on 20 November 2016
Down to the earth advice. Use of index cards to capture significant events in our lives is one of the many practical advices in the book. Be realistic, persevere, and be successful (hopefully)!