Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More 50 million songs to make the moment Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$21.19+ $6.50 shipping

on 2 February 2018
Having visited Auschwitz and Birkenau, I will never forget the sense of hopelessness I felt as I walked through the entrance gates. This sense returned as I read this book ,knowing that what I read had occurred. It is incredible that such acts of depravity were of daily occurrence and accepted as the norm at that time.This book recounts the life of an inmate,forced to do a job which he finds repulsive but the desire to stay alive one more day is paramount.The brutality of his existence is tempered with the falling in love with a fellow inmate. This true story keeps the reader in suspense to find out if they survive this hell hole . Whilst not warm and fuzzy, this book needs to be read. A tablet in Auschwitz states “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it “. Lest we forget!
5 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2018
As time passes people tend to forget the enormity of the holocaust and this book attempts to remind all of us just how dreadful it was for millions of Jews and others victimised by the Nazis. This story is told simply, with an undertone of hope and courage which at times understates the conditions suffered by those in the concentratiom camps. Maybe this is a strength because it avoids sensationalism, but maybe it is a weakness too, because it leaves gaps in the narrative which deserved more detail.
Such as the lack of informatiom as to what happened to Lale's mentor whose wisdom and compassion led him to become the Tattoist and thus saved his life? And why are readers not told about what happens to women who were forced to become the lovers of the German officers , useful at times, but abandoned afer the war , classified as collaborators, and sentenced to years in gaol by the victors. There is a disconnect between the protagonist's
desire to survive and his avowed love for his future wife.
He seems to have blocked out the emotonal indebtedness he owed to others.
It could be that T .S. Eliot was right , "Human beings csnnot stand too much reaity". Even so , if we don't demand the ugly truth about man's inhumanity to man it will surely be repeated. This book is revommended for senior school children and above.
on 3 March 2018
The book was very well written and it was easy to read. The content was a little harder to read given the horrors experienced by the inmates. Such stories need to be recorded to negate those who would deny that such horrors took place. Millions of people died and many survived with horrible scars because of the atrocities. That love rose from the horrors shows that mankind is better than what happened here. We must never forget! Thanks for sharing this story with us all.
on 7 June 2018
The Tattooist of Auschwitz was written well, it’s an important story to tell, document and was interesting, but was it a good book ?
Not really, I didn’t enjoy it.

I’m nearly 60 and all my life I have heard about, seen on documentaries and read about the holocaust of WW2. I’m afraid to say, I’m almost immuned from feeling anything about this period in our history. Especially as programs like Hogan Heroes are still on free to air TV. But sometimes, I read an article or see something on TV that catches my attention.

The Narrow Road to the Deep North was something that stopped me in my tracks. My God Father, (Lloyd) was a captive in Changi during W2 and he would tell me stories of what happened to him in Changi when I was a child. The stories were no doubt modified for my sake but The Narrow Road to the Deep North was disturbing. I couldn’t bare to think about Lloyd and what he experienced.

And now the Tattooist of Auschwitz has again affected my immunization. Heather Morris has done well to portray the events of the Tatowierer. The death and torture of people is so brutal it’s hard to believe it happened. The discrimination is shocking and the disregard to fellow humans reads like fictional movie. But it is true and the Tatowierer lived in Melbourne. That’s remarkable and it’s hard to believe he and his brave wife could sleep at night.

I did recommend the Tattooist of Auschwitz to a friend and she has read it.

Malcolm Brown
on 11 May 2018
I gave this book 5 stars because it is a true record and is told without embellishment. Beautifully written this is the story of Lale and Gita who were survivors of the worst atrocities in history. Their love and faith in one another enabled them to endure horrific suffering for 3 years in a Nazi concentration camp and to emerge triumphant.

The writing is eloquent and never descends into melodrama, even when recounting the near death experiences which confront both Lale and Gita.
on 19 May 2018
Oh such a powerful book everyone young and old shouldread it...Icouldn't put it down made me weep how the rest of the world did not know what was happening or just turned a blind eye..if I were Jewish I would never forgive..I find it hard to believe that this was all still happening whilst I had been on this earth for two years and my parents did not know
on 28 April 2018
This novel is well written and had me hooked by the first chapter. More than seventy years after these events took place my stomach still churns at the indignity and cruelty that the Jews endured. This novel provides such a personal account of the most horrific circumstance a human could find themselves in. The juxtaposition of finding true love whilst in the midst of hell is heart warming.
on 21 February 2018
Read this after reading an exert in the Age weekend magazine. Yes some of it was hard to read but it was well told and at least I knew he survived. We must never forget those atrocities and what a wonderful man he was.
3 people found this helpful
on 11 August 2018
Although this exposes the horror of the Holocaust, it is also a love story and shows how people can rise above terror and disastrous conditions. It is very well written and keeps the reader on tender hooks, even though one knows that a happy ending is achieved. I strongly recommend wide reading of this book
on 7 May 2018
A well written moving book, a must read just to show we must never again allow our world to experience atrocities like these. A story of survival and hope under the most harrowing circumstances imaginable.