Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More 50 million songs to make the moment Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

12 Rules for Life
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$20.99+ Free Delivery with Amazon Prime

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2018
Here Prof. J.P. has compiled a rigorously researched piece of writing, condensing the salient points of much empiric research on a broad range of topics and coming to insightful conclusions for his reader.

His genuine concern for human beings comes across in the authenticity of his assertions (he provides no 'quick fixes') and in the obvious efforts he has made to make his concepts understandable for the layperson.

In a world of ghost-written self-help books with Oprah's smug self-promoting face on the cover, this is like finding water in the desert.
48 people found this helpful
on 23 June 2018
An important work focussing on character, not personality. A witty, emotive, delightfully meandering presentation of why society has and could continue to deteriorate in terms of increasingly superficial perspectives, lazy thinking and disrespectful behaviours.

Psychological theory is placed into context with humanity’s mythical, religious and philosophical framework, alongside clinical and personal experiences that display the humour, sadness and, too often, horror of existence.

The tools offered within Petersen’s ‘rules’ can help us deepen our thinking, reduce extreme perspectives, become more self-aware and, critically, develop greater self-respect.

The single most powerful message I take from this book is for individuals to take complete responsibility for their own decisions, actions and outcomes.
on 16 July 2018
I read this book because none of my friends can stop talking about Jordan Peterson. I was very disappointed. 50% Biblical references, 50% pseudo-science (that lobster stuff is just wrong) - spend your time and money on a better book.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 May 2018
Full of insights where I frequently paused myself to repeat them and commit them to memory. I really enjoyed (and learnt from) the chapters where Peterson uses personal experience or scientific findings.
However, I did not enjoy (nor was convinced by) the chapters/sections that were metaphysical or religiously based.
Perhaps this is a personal thing, but I dont 'get' all of this (re)interpreting the 'meaning' of religious texts.
You'd have to read the book to see what i mean (or see where I've misunderstood) but I would seriously say persevere with the whole thing because there are some absolute gems of wisdom here.
on 4 May 2018
As I was reading 12 Rules for Life I was stunned as to how many times it seemed to speak to my soul. I have had many truly horrible experiences in my life and Dr Peterson has been able to, in this book, help me understand how my life turned out the way it did.
However I have been on the road to recovery in the last few years and was pleased to read that I was already following his antidote to chaos in my own way.
To any one whose life is not turning out the way it should, read this book. It will help you take stock and give you hope that you too can navigate through life's joys and tragedies with confidence.
on 24 April 2018
I wish I had this knowledge growing up, it would have saved me much angst, confusion, anger & sadness. There are so many aha moments for the reader, too many to mention. It's a mixture of religious doctrine (throughly thought out, analysed & explained) philosophy & modern psychology, with brutal honesty.
on 26 June 2018
I think it's a great book but maybe i'm just not the target audience. I think there is a lot of truth in what Peterson says but I didn't find it as mind blowing as a lot of people seem to. I'm pretty sure any bad reviews are from militant atheists who can't handle hearing any kind of theological reference without getting triggered.
on 3 May 2018
The author bases his conclusions on human nature. Even if that means drawing on concepts that are controversial nowadays, e.g. gender equality, bullying, religion.

Rejecting our most basic characteristics, as it is common in this present moment, means rejecting our very nature.

To be happy, we must understand our humanity.
on 29 April 2018
Jordan B Peterson is a 21st Century wonder. His work although simple and accessible allows the reader to search the depths of great works of literature, spiritual guidance and human wisdom. His work is a clarion call to those who are seeking to take responsibility for the direction of their lives.
on 27 February 2018
Jordan Peterson has written a challenging book that inspires with its wisdom. I found it inspirational and in addition it helped me to understand the current assult on western culture.
One person found this helpful