Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now learn more Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More

on 20 July 2017
I have to say, i read a sample of the start of this book and i was absolutely hooked!!! I could not have downloaded it on my kindle fast enough. It was witty, relatable and a real page turner. Unfortunately, soon after the first chapter, i really had to force myself to keep reading the book. To me, it lacked substance and intrigue, and the message probably could have been summed up in an article rather than an entire book. It's not that i didnt agree with the message of the book because the author makes some absolutely spot on points. I was dissapointed that i only got glimpses of the author. I felt that the book could have been more personal from his perspective instead of constantly referencing stories of other people in the past. It just made it hard to get stuck into because, at times, it felt like you were reading a series of somewhat relevant short stories that were tied together with a repetitive message. Sorry.
13 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2018
I understand the appeal of the book, and why it has been so popular.

There are many aspects of the books I liked but I found some of it somewhat contradictory. Mark speaks with alot of passion and enthusiasm which is great. HOWEVER, he fails to back up alot of his points with hard facts, and rather tells particular stories that validate his points. There are of course, countless other stories that would disprove his arguments.

The book is essential Mark Manson's opinions on life. Some of it is fantastic, but other parts are just opinion. He always swears a little too much for my liking!
on 7 May 2018
The language and the example used in Chapter 1 kinda triggered me if I’m honest. I reminded myself to keep an open mind because I’ve heard good reviews (and we shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover.. or it’s first chapter!). From the 2nd chapter onward, the book just gets better and better. The content and substance of the book reveals itself to be fantastic. I understand that the title of the book and maybe even the first chapter is playing on sensationalism to get a different kind of audience interested in and reading this content that is vitally important and truly valuable to us all. I’ll read this one again and again. Highly recommended reading.
on 4 October 2017
People NEED this book. It's eye-opening, thought-provoking, and above all, brutally honest. I have thought of these concepts before on a very abstract level, but having them put into words like this is a transformative experience. You will learn to look at your life in a different way, you will learn to understand how deeply rooted some problems can be, and you will learn how to deal with them. Interestingly enough, this book was very existential for me and really struck a chord, allowing things to really sink in and make sense. Honestly, reading this book has given me clarity in terms of relationships, thoughts, struggles, happiness and life itself. Do yourself a favor, read this book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 June 2018
Wasn't sure what I felt at first. Once I realised he wasn't talking about NOT caring but about not caring too much about stupid things and people that suck our energy and waste our time - I really enjoyed it. Had a few laughs along the way and it helped me clarify who and what I give a F about and why. Great read without being too heavy or deep.
on 4 December 2017
I liked it, as the author says it's a bit messy at times, throwing in different wisdoms about life, death, values etc. Moving from funny to serious, philosophical to Hollywood, personal to fictional, it is not for those who seek a structured read with a clear leitmotiv. Some bits made me laugh, others made me cry and some made me think, but now and then I scanned words as the pace slowed down , too descriptive in details and made my attention wane.
on 8 November 2017
I really enjoyed this book. Many reviews are far too critical of his discussion around his sexual experiences and drug use that they miss his points of personal growth entirely. His message combines concepts from Zen Buddhism, stoicism, minimalism and other philosophies that focus on living in the moment, directing your attention to things worthy of your time and not obsessing over things outside of your control. I'll definitely be keeping this book on hand
on 19 February 2018
The book starts out well but deteriorates as it goes on. The author uses some surprisingly immature language and examples for discussing fairly profound topics. He also never misses an opportunity to mention what a player he was when he was younger. Unfortunate really as the first few chapters are pretty good. Probably better suited for a blog than a book.
on 12 January 2018
I can’t guarantee that all the insights this book delivers may or may not change my life but it has certainly given me a new perspective on my role to accept responsibly for how I react to my problems and the consequences of the actions I take to solve them
on 15 July 2017
Honest, to the point, and relatable. No zen nonsense or sabotaging pseudo positivity. It asks you the hard questions that many 'self-help' books won't. It asserts that the reader IS the solution, not some bubbly mantra from a deranged hipster yogi from California. It challenges the reader to see things differently, to be honest with themselves, and to actually try to do better at life starting from themselves.