Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now learn more Learn More

The Woman In The Window
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$16.00+ Free Delivery with Amazon Prime

#1 REVIEWERon 3 February 2018
There was/is a lot of hype surrounding this book and it kept being recommended to me via Amazon and through my Facebook newsfeed so I felt I had to buy it., however I’ll be honest, I had little expectations... yet, I found that ‘The Woman in the Window’ is ‘The Girl on the Train’ meets ‘Rear Window’ - that well loved Hitchcock film based on a short story. Hence making this one of the best twisted psychological thrillers I've read in a long time.

A.J. Finn has created a captivating character in Dr. Anna Fox - our protagonist. She suffers from agoraphobia resulting from a devastating incident that has significantly damaged her. She mixes alcohol with her medication and spends her days looking out her windows at her neighbourhood.

Actually she spies on them, taking pictures with her camera. Making up names and backstories where she does not know the truth and keeping careful watch of what they all get up to. A new family moves in and Anna starts watching them as well.
One day, she hears a scream coming from the Russell's house, and she sees what she thinks could be a crime. But looks can be deceiving, especially if the watcher isn't exactly sober at the time, which is the police's attitude. Did Anna really see what she thought she saw and, if so, why are the Russell's lying?

This debut grabbed me from the first page, held me captive throughout. And if you love a book that is patient and slowly reveals itself to you before shocking you then you will love ‘The Woman in the Window’.
12 people found this helpful
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 April 2018
AJ puts together a story in the best Hitchcock tradition but takes if further by having an extremely flawed central character similar to girl on the train. Who is going to believe a drunk and pill popper when they see a murder.

There are many sub plots in this story. You have to decide which ones are dead ends. Good luck with that. There are lots of twists throughout the book and when you think the story is making sense there is a twist.

The story does start off slowly as AJ sets up all the sub plots. Then round 40 per cent the story gets going. It continues at a fairly frenetic pace to the end. The final twists are unexpected but have been lurking there all the time.

This book deserves to be a best seller. I am not going to say it's perfect but it is about damaged people so it's never going to be precise. Just enjoy the ride.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 15 May 2018
I had trouble getting into this in the beginning. I wasn't fussed on the writing style - which is rather dramatic and flowery. But I soon got sucked into the story, and came to love the main character's voice. This book reminded me a little of the film 'Copycat'. While the book is overwritten, it kind of matches the main character, who is stuck in her home and is a very intelligent woman. The story unravels quite slowly, but I enjoyed the ride.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 May 2018
This one started slow and I wasn't sure I was going to keep going with it. I am also a little tired of the alcoholic unreliable narrator. That said, once things did take off (around a third of the way in) it was decently paced and twisty enough to keep me reading. The ending was, perhaps, a little too neatly tied up.
One person found this helpful
on 14 May 2018
A gripping thriller, that kept me up long into the night. It's the story of Anna, an agoraphobic who is dealing with a past trauma by turning to alcohol. Separated from her family, her life consists of internet chess, old movies and spying on her neighbours. Then one night Anna sees something she wasn't supposed to...Though a lot of it was easy to work out, it still had me enthralled right through to the final pages. Recommended.
on 11 March 2018
It was the voice that got me. You know, those writers who arrange their words in such a way that you cannot help but admire their cleverness. While I had trouble with the protagonist's agoraphobia: like, what exactly was the thing that resulted in the agoraphobia, I most certainly did not see the end coming, nor did I suspect the antagonist. Now, that was clever. It was the perfect travel to work book.
on 22 February 2018
Terrific read. Not sure why I haven’t given it 5 stars. It kept me enthralled all the way. Will read this author again. Recommended.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 April 2018
for me an okay book. very good in parts but doesn't live up to the hype. will make a good movie.
2 people found this helpful
on 15 June 2018
Read the great reviews, but this recommended book was waste of my time and money. Persevered to Chapter 19, but just didn’t like, right from the start, how the book was written. Very disappointing. I will continue to read Mark Edwards, Rachel Abbott, Michael Robotham.
on 8 April 2018
A very good story, but could have been written in half as many words. Very slow and drawn out. It seemed like 300 pages of lead up and then all over in 10 pages. A self indulgent writing style - I turned. I sipped. I looked. I blinked. - get on with it. Also, very unlikable character. The character's agoraphobia was central to the story, and yet she follows someone to the coffee shop at the end of the street?