Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Joseph Alexander
Joseph Alexander has been a guitarist and expert music tutor for over 20 years. His tuition books are published in four languages and have sold over 600,000 copies to widespread critical acclaim.
Currently Joseph is co-writing groundbreaking music methods with Martin Taylor, John Patitucci, Jens Larsen, Levi Clay, Ulf Wakenius, Mark Lettieri Les Wise and many more...
He is a publisher of 120 music books and his label, Fundamental Changes is currently accepting manuscripts from a new talented generation of musicians and offers 3x the standard royalty rates to educators.
www.fundamental-changes.com for over 350 free HD video lessons or to get signed as an author.
Customers Also Bought Items By
- Are you struggling to master fingerpicking on guitar?
- Are you finding it difficult to coordinate your fingers and keep your picking smooth while you change chords?
- Do you want to confidently fingerpick chord sequences on guitar right away?
The First 100 Picking Patterns for Guitar is more than just a cold list of potential ideas, it’s a complete method to teach you perfect fingerpicking technique from the ground up. Whatever your current ability, after working through this book you’ll be playing beautiful fingerstyle guitar like a seasoned pro.
- Learn to play every essential picking pattern on guitar
- Master the art of picking smoothly through chord changes – no more awkward gaps!
- Discover dozens of beautiful guitar chord sequences and learn to write your own.
- Develop perfect right- and left-hand coordination
- Instantly apply new fingerpicking patterns to any song on guitar
The First 100 Picking Patterns for Guitar teaches you perfect fingerpicking technique, over 100 picking patterns, dozens of beautiful chord sequences, and gives you an entire method to go from your first fumbling picks to genuinely stunning performances.
In fact, it’s the perfect book for accompanists and singer-songwriters on both acoustic and electric guitar.
Here’s What You Get:
- A complete course, building from first foundational plucking techniques that helps you memorize, understand and play fingerpicking patterns cleanly and musically
- A structured approach that helps you to build muscle memory, great technique and useful musical knowledge
- A complete guide to the most important guitar fingerpicking patterns for beginners, and the freedom to create your own unique ideas
- Over 170 examples and exercises written clearly in standard notation and TAB
- An instant trick to teach your fingers how to move accurately, totally subconsciously
Bonus Two: Audio downloads of every single example in the book, so you can hear what the music should sound like.
Most guitarists stumble around with a few picking patterns but don’t realise that it’s simple to develop true musical freedom and an extensive vocabulary in your picking hand.
Are you Missing Part of the Puzzle?
The First 100 Picking Patterns for Guitar is a complete guitar method for beginners that teaches you how to build perfect technique and freedom for a lifetime of good guitar habits.
From the most basic picking patterns, right through to rich, exciting and advanced concepts, you will be guided in small friendly steps on your path to plucking perfection. Throughout, there is an emphasis on using the correct fingers, changing chords smoothly, building great technique and developing creativity.
Learning patterns from paper is one thing, but once you hear how to apply them, they become music.
Jazz Guitar Chord Voicings: Musically Mastered
Learn and incorporate essential jazz guitar chord vocabulary into your playing quickly, easily and logically.
Over 150 creative exercises with audio
Jazz Guitar Chord Mastery is a guitar chord method that easily develops your harmonic knowledge and fretboard skills, while helping you master and use advanced jazz chords, voicings and inversions.
Daunted by jazz chords and comping?
Jazz Guitar Chord Mastery begins by breaking down jazz harmony into four basic chord types: Maj7, m7, 7 and m7b5.
How the notes of these chords are arranged on the guitar has a massive effect on their sound and use in music. Every common arrangement (or 'drop' voicing) of these chords is covered in detail, along with advice on when they are best used, which ones are a priority to learn and how to musically incorporate them into your playing.
Any 'drop' chord voicing can be 'inverted' to be played in different four ways. Jazz Guitar Chord Mastery covers every inversion on every possible string group and shows you where to focus for greatest benefit.
Easily master jazz guitar chords now
Each chord structure is shown in terms of its interval arrangement on the neck, which instantly increases your vision, awareness and understanding of how chords function. With this knowledge you will make tiny adjustments to the basic four '7th' chord-types to easily form 9th, 11th, and 13th chords plus Dim7, Maj6, m6 m(Maj)7 and any altered dominant chord you wish.
Not a chord dictionary, this is a complete method to learn and musically apply every chord for jazz guitar - instantly
Jazz Guitar Chord Mastery goes way beyond any chord dictionary. You are taught to construct, play and apply every essential chord voicing in a musical context.
- Every chord type, structure, voicing and inversion is shown with clear diagrams with standard notation and tab
- All drop 2 chord voicings
- All drop 3 chord voicings
- All drop 2+4 chord voicings
- Hundreds of useful exercises and real-life musical examples
- Altered Dominants, Substitutions and 6th chords in context
- Practice tips and musical application
Bonus hundreds of audio tracks to download for free
Bonus learn to move through chords in inversions while adding melody and walking bass
5000+ excellent reviews of all Fundamental Changes guitar method books
With hundreds of positive reviews, Fundamental Changes guitar books are a proven, fun and effective way to quickly improve your playing.
Scroll up to buy now and immediately Improve your jazz guitar chord playing
Understand and Play Guitar Chords in Context
A complete guitar chord method that teaches you to build, understand and play every chord in modern music.
Not just another chord dictionary
Whether you’re learning guitar for the first time, or you’re looking for more insight into how guitar chords work, Guitar Chords in Context has the answers you’re looking for. Instead of simply teaching meaningless chord diagrams, this book teaches you in great detail how to construct and apply every chord type you’ll ever come across.
- Are you struggling with traditional chord dictionaries? - Hundreds of chord diagrams but no clue on how to use them?
- Do you need a concise guide to the most important guitar chords and how they function in music?
- Do you want to play every chord in three different ways on guitar?
Guitar Chords in Context is different
Instead of blinding you with thousands of diagrams of similar, meaningless chords, every single chord type (Major, Minor, 7, Sus etc.) is broken down into its theory, application and sound before you're taught the three most important voicings that real guitarists use.
- Guitar Chords in Context teaches you
- Hundreds of short cuts to help you make better music
- Build and play major, minor sus2, sus4 chords
- Discover dominant 7, minor 7, major 7 and m7b5 chords
- How to apply 6th and altered dominant chords.
- Learn how to use substitutions to add extensions and chromatic alterations make your chords interesting and unique
- Understand and play guitar chords in a musical context, don’t just learn a list of complex voicings
- Three playable, usable ways to play every chord immediately
Bonus 110 audio examples to download for free to show you how your music should sound.
Bonus Exclusive backing tracks to help your practise
The book itself contains over 100 pages of crystal clear, high resolution diagrams covering the construction of every common guitar chord type. There are three different essential voicings for each chord and plenty of information about the context in which it is used.
How your guitar playing will immediately benefit:
By understanding the theory behind the construction of each guitar chord type and learning where every interval lays on the fretboard, you will instantly see the guitar neck in a new way. You will quickly internalise the concept of guide tones and be able to use them to immediately construct any chord type you desire, anywhere on the neck.
When you have read Guitar Chords in Context you will see and understand the guitar neck in a whole new light. In fact, you will never need a traditional ‘chord dictionary’ again. You will quickly be able to find the musical voicings that work for you - every time.
Guitar Chords in Context is a complete, useful and musical way to master chords for guitar that's easy, systematic, and fun.
Buy it now and quickly discover how to build and use every important chord on guitar
The Complete Guide to Keyboard and Piano Technique with over 140 Exercises
At last – a method that addresses every aspect of piano technique and is clear and easy to follow! This book lays the foundations for a lifetime of effortless piano playing.
- Do you want a simple method to learn perfect piano technique, step by step?
- Want a clear guide that will speed up your progress on piano?
- Need a resource to help you master scales and arpeggios at the same time?
The Complete Piano Technique book is a carefully structured method, developed over several years, to help you build perfect piano technique from the ground up. It covers every aspect of piano playing technique and you will learn essential scales and arpeggios at the same time!
In order to enjoy a lifetime of playing, it’s very important to have a solid technical foundation. With this in place, you can focus wholeheartedly on playing the music you love.
- How to play with ease and efficiency
- Practical exercises to achieve good posture and avoid muscle strain and injury
- Perfect finger, hand, wrist and arm movement
- How to relax hand muscles effectively and still achieve great tone
- The correct fingering for all scales and arpeggios
- The counterintuitive technique needed to play flourishes of notes at lightning speed
Clear diagrams throughout the book will ensure you avoid the mistakes many pianists make. You’ll also learn the techniques you’ve heard professional pianists use to introduce light and shade into their playing, and to create exciting or reflective moods.
This is a practical book packed, packed with useful exercises distilled over many years of teaching, to refine your technique and make you the best pianist you can be.
Here’s What You Get:
- Strike and release exercises to build finger strength and independence
- Exercises to master legato and staccato technique
- Introduce light and shade into your playing using one simple technique
- Switch effortlessly between 1/18 note and 1/16th note passages
- Master complete left- and right-hand independence
There’s more! In the process of crafting your technical skills, you’ll learn every major and minor scale and key arpeggios. You’ll also learn how to apply these techniques to the pieces you are working on.
Make quicker progress by learning the right way to practice, and how to have a productive practice session – every time. You’ll also discover a proven method for learning new pieces
Over 140 studio-quality audio examples will help you hear how every exercise should sound.
Buy it now and perfect your piano technique!
Easily Master Smooth, Sophisticated Voice Leading on Guitar
Voice Leading Jazz Guitar teaches you the most important principles of voice leading, substitution, secondary dominant and tritone use to quickly make your jazz rhythm guitar parts musical and rich. Using real life musical examples that you can see and hear, you will quickly learn to open up the fretboard and gain deep insight into chords and harmony.
Standard Notation, Tablature, Diagrams and Audio
With over 80 notated audio examples and hundreds of diagrams, Voice Leading Jazz Guitar shows you step by step how to move between jazz chords in the smoothest possible way. Get away from ‘standard’ root position chords, and learn to see the fretboard in terms of intervals and beautiful extensions. Move away from jumping around the neck and learn to change just one or two notes in a chord to form stunning tapestries of sound.
Build Rich, Musical, Jazz Rhythm Guitar Parts
Voice Leading Jazz Guitar focuses on building creative chord voicings on real life jazz standards. This is not a book full of boring exercises, each example relates to common jazz chord progressions to provide context and insight into the techniques used.
Break away from predictable chord shapes and paths through songs
- Do you find yourself limited to chord voicings with roots on the 6th, 5th or 4th strings?
- Do you only have one or two ‘routes’ through a jazz progression?
- Do you want to understand the basis of chord melody?
- Do you want learn when, where and how to use beautiful substitutions and extensions?
Voice Leading Jazz Guitar is a Straightforward, No Nonsense, Practical Guide to Enriching your Playing
All too often books on jazz harmony are dull, elitist and only for those who are academically trained. This book is different and takes you on a simple logical journey from first principles and teaches you the techniques used by the best jazz guitarists in the world to find unlimited ways to play any jazz chord progression.
- See the neck as a palette of possible intervals, not just a set of rigid chord shapes
- Move smoothly and efficiently between chords while introducing rich, musical extensions and alterations
- Master Secondary Dominant and Tritone Substitutions
- Develop simple chord progressions into sequences of beautiful substitutions
- Play all over the neck in any key
- Understand and develop your own approach to voice leading
- Hear substitutions in a musical context with over 80 audio examples to download for free
Fundamental-Changes.com writes the Best Selling Guitar Books on Amazon
This is a new book, but check out our 5000+ 5* reviews on our other titles.
Master Voice Leading for Jazz Rhythm Guitar Now
Master Alternate Picking For Guitar
Are you struggling to play fast alternate picked passages on guitar?
Do you need a methodical guide to alternate picking that’s packed with hundreds of exercises and powerful strategies?
Alternate Picking Guitar Technique is a complete roadmap of methodical steps that will make you the perfect picker, from zero to hero, and includes the exact steps that virtuoso rock guitarist Chris Brooks used to build his own incredible techniques.
This complete methodteaches you everything from building firm foundations to performing blazing, musical etudes via more than 90 exercises and musical examples. Everything is broken down, step-by-step, and you’ll quickly master each aspect of this essential guitar technique before moving on to the next.
The Perfect Method to Improve Alternate Picking on Guitar
Each jam-packed chapter focuses on an essential aspect of alternate picking technique and application... with plenty of licks and drills to reinforce every concept.
- Fundamental pick grips and motions – the powerhouses behind the greatest players
- Single-string picking builders and sequences to build firm technical foundations
- How to change strings correctly and avoid your pick getting “trapped”
- Pentatonic and diatonic picking licks across all strings to build speed and fluency
- Vital independence and synchronisation drills for ultimate control
- Essential scale sequences to build your musical technique
- Musical etudes that make key concepts fun and musical
- Over 90 powerful examples that advance as you do
Put Chops to Use in Real Music
Guitarists can be guilty of just playing exercises and not truly applying their technique to real music. The whole point of improving your technique is to be able to play music more easily, so in Alternate Picking Guitar Technique you’ll learn musical etudes that have been written exclusively for this book – from rocking Pentatonic tracks to classical-inspired etudes, these pieces will challenge and inspire you on your journey to intelligent, musical guitar technique.
Alternate Picking Study Bonuses
Bonus 1: Learn how to build, analyze, and update your practice routine with Chris Brooks’ complete guide to efficient practice skills
Bonus 2: Hear every single example with Chris’ exclusive audio performances that you can download for free.
Alternate Picking Guitar Technique smashes your bad habits and is the quickest pathway to perfect, expressive performances on guitar – from “open B” to “Bumblebee”! Plus, it’s also the perfect curriculum for private teachers.
Perfect your picking today and quickly become a more accurate guitarist with unlimited musical potential.
Buy it now!
Master the Circle of Fifths and Crack the Secret Code of Music Theory
Discover how to form any scale - in any key
Understand key signatures
Change key musically and effectively
Understand how to apply and hear music theory on the guitar
Instantly know the notes of any major of minor scale
The Circle of Fifths for Guitarists
- Are you aware of key signatures, keys and scales but don’t quite know how they fit together?
- Would you like to have complete freedom to build and use the right scales on guitar?
- Do you want to know exactly which notes to play in any major or minor scale?
- Do you know how to change key smoothly and easily?
The Circle of Fifths for Guitarists will teach you to build, understand and use the essential building-blocks of music theory to become a better musician, quickly and easily.
Here’s what you get:
- A complete course, building from the first principles of music that allows you to create, understand and master the Circle of Fifths.
- Discover how to build every major and relative minor scales.
- Understand how key signatures work and instantly know the notes of any scale
- An instant trick to tell you the notes in any key, just using by looking at your guitar fretboard!
Bonus: Learn to instantly see the relationships six ‘secret’ closely related key changes that you can use in your own writing and playing instantly.
Are you Missing part of the puzzle?
Most guitarists know a lot of scales, but few actually understand the essential principles of how they are built and how they relate to each other.
The Circle of Fifths is like an ancient ‘Rosetta Stone’ of music theory that not only tells you which notes are in any key, but also contains the secret of how every scale is built and how every scale relates to each other.
In The Circle of Fifths, you will not only learn how The Circle works, but you will also learn to build it yourself and gain instant access to the deep inner core of theory that governs everything in music.
The Circle of Fifths for Guitarists shows how every key, scale, chord and modulation works in music. It’s essential knowledge of any aspiring musician.
Theory is just knowledge, but once you hear it, it becomes music. The Circle of Fifths for Guitarists contains many supporting audio examples to help you get inside the theory and quickly apply the concepts to your own playing.
This book is Free on Kindle Unlimited
Build and Master Essential Bass Technique
The Bass Technique Finger Gym is an instant 'shot-in-the-arm' for bass players of any level. It focuses on building a solid foundation of clean, usable, musical skills.
Important, Effective Exercises
Each exercise is individually targeted to a common bass technique problem. You will work on timing, strength, fluency and speed, as well as getting an overview of slapping and popping.
Solve Every Common Bass Problem
Whether you play rock, jazz, blues or funk, all bassists come up against the same pain points.
The Bass Technique Finger Gym will build your skills and develop your finesse in an organic and musical way.
Over 130 essential bass technique exercises are included to help you build speed and fluency along with exciting musical studies to consolidate your skills.
These exercises focus on:
- Speed & Dexterity
- Coordination & Control
- Strength & Stamina
- Scale Sequences & Fretboard Fluency
Bonus: Exclusive video content that guides you through the perfect slap technique.
The Bass Technique Finger Gym Also Includes:
- Audio examples of each exercise to download for free
- Standard Notation and Tab
- Bespoke, Timed Workouts and Practice Schedules
- Musical Pieces to Consolidate your Skills
Learning from paper is one thing, but once you hear how to apply them, they become music. The First 100 Chords for Guitarists contains many supporting audio examples to help you get inside the music, and quickly apply every new chord in a musical situation.
Get the audio for free from our dedicated website.
Buy it now to Give your Playing the Workout It Deserves
Bass Technique Finger Gym is available for free on Kindle Unlimited, or just $14.99 in Paperback with Amazon's quality Guarantee.
Scroll up to buy it now.
Master cutting edge modern jazz guitar techniques with Jens Larsen
Modern Jazz Guitar Concepts provides an in-depth insight into the modern jazz guitar techniques you’ll hear in the music of Kurt Rosenwinkel, Adam Rogers, Jonathan Kriesberg, Gilad Hekselman, Lage Lund and others. In this book you’ll learn the essential building blocks of modern jazz guitar with numerous licks and detailed descriptions of the theory behind each concept.
Popular YouTube teacher Jens Larsen teaches you how to apply triads, arpeggios and scales to create the sounds of contemporary jazz guitar. This creative method allows you to develop the knowledge you already have, using basic major and minor scales in a new way to create fresh sounds. This book contains a wealth of knowledge and provides a clear, easy to follow method for jazz guitar fans who want to access the modern style of playing.
What you’ll learn:
· The essential techniques of modern jazz guitar, with licks played over the familiar II V I progression
· How to apply the basic major scale to contemporary jazz guitar with clever use of triads and arpeggios
· How to use chromatics to create tension and interest in your solos
· The “Coltrane pattern” – break up boring scale patterns and learn how to improvise over quick chord changes
· How to apply the Harmonic Minor and Diminished scales in a modern jazz context
· Expand your jazz vocabulary with a collection of innovative modern licks you can adapt to your style
Modern jazz guitar concepts
· Would you like a straightforward method that teaches you how to achieve a contemporary jazz guitar sound, without having to learn dozens of exotic scales?
· Would you like a jazz guitar method that shows how you can re-think the scales and arpeggios you already know?
· Would you like a simple method that will help you create your own original melodic ideas?
A creative modern jazz guitar method
In recent years, many new modern jazz guitar players have emerged, many from the exciting New York scene. Jens Larsen has written the must-have guide to contemporary jazz vocabulary – but this isn’t merely a book of licks – the concepts behind the licks are explained in a thorough, detailed manner, enabling you to immediately apply them to your playing.
Here’s What You Get:
· A step-by-step guide that starts simple and adds layers of complexity
· Perfectly notated examples with tab and studio-quality audio to download for FREE
· A full-length blues with a solo analysis demonstrating all the concepts at work
A modern jazz guitar method that breaks down barriers
Modern Jazz Guitar Concepts cuts through the mystery that surrounds contemporary jazz guitar and explains the concepts behind the style in a clear and concise manner. Using the familiar II V I progression, Jens Larsen demonstrates how to get “that sound”, without learning dozens of exotic scales.
Modern Jazz Guitar Concepts contains numerous supporting audio examples you can download, so you can hear exactly how each example should sound.
Buy it now and master the language of modern jazz guitar!
Get inside the grooves and techniques of the coolest bass players ever recorded!
RnB, Soul & Motown Style Basslines is your complete guide to mastering the essential skills of Soul bass guitar. You’ll learn 100 grooves in the style of 16 legendary bassists, mastering in-the-pocket playing and growing your vocabulary of bass riffs, licks and techniques.Discover 100 RnB, Soul & Motown Grooves for Electric Bass
This is much more than a simple book of licks, you’ll go on a journey with some of the most innovative players ever to pick up the bass. These are the players who literally discovered what makes an amazing bassline.
You’ll nail the groove styles of:
- Early Soul & RnB pioneers Lloyd Trotman and Bernard Odum
- Memphis Soul and Stax – Lewie Steinberg, Donald “Duck” Dunn, Tommy Cogbill
- Motown– James Jamerson, Bob Babbitt
- West Coast Motown – Wilton Felder, Carole Kaye, Scott Edwards
- Philly Soul – Ronnie Baker, Jimmy Williams
- Atlantic and Muscle Shoals – David Hood, Jerry Jemmott
- Chicago Soul & Chess Records – Louis Satterfield, Willie Weeks
We all know a great groove when we hear it, but what makes it so compelling? In this book, seasoned session bassist Dan Hawkins teaches the essential techniques needed to create an array of memorable grooves. Electric Bass skills you’ll learn include:
- The “breaking the rules of music” trick Bernard Odum used for James Brown
- How to create solid memorable riffs that make a tune
- Mastering syncopation in the style of James Jamerson
- How to lock in with a drummer
- Where to use articulations such as hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides
- Essential arpeggio and scale patterns
- The ideas that fuelled some of the greatest basslines in recorded history
There’s more! RnB, Soul & Motown Style Basslines also teaches you how to nail the perfect Soul Tone in its “Gear Talk” section. You’ll even discover how to recreate classic tone with modern gear.100 Fantastic RnB, Soul & Motown Style Basslines
Each section of the book profiles several legendary Soul and RnB bass players and explains how they created their iconic basslines.
Bonus 1: As well as a FREE download of 100 studio quality audio examples, we’ve created a special Spotify playlist of essential tunes to get you in the groove.
Bonus 2: Studio quality backing tracks will help you perfect your skills and get your playing super-tight
Buy RnB, Soul & Motown Style Basslines today and quickly start making that sweet Soul music!
Go Beyond Rhythm Guitar to Seamlessly Blend Guitar Chords with Licks, Riffs and Fills
Become an Accomplished Accompanist!
- Learn to Effortlessly Combine Rhythm and Lead Guitar Simultaneously
- Develop a Language of Musical Fills around Every Common Chord Shape
- Weave Lead Guitar Licks into Chords for Blues, Pop, Rock, and Acoustic Guitar
- Discover how to use Drone Notes to make Beautiful Music
- Instantly Create Beautiful Solo Guitar Lines while playing Capo Chords
- Master Complete Musical Studies and Impressive Pieces that Combine Rhythm and Lead Guitar
- Learn with Tablature, Notation and Hundreds of Audio Examples of Exciting Solo Chord Arrangements
Beyond Rhythm Guitar
- Is your guitar chord playing boring?
- Do you want to add melodic fills to your rhythm guitar playing and stay in time?
- Do you need to find melodies that fit around every chord?
- Want to confidently combine great chords with interesting licks in most modern styles?
- Do you want to learn rhythm and lead in the style of the world's greatest guitarists?
- Do you want hundreds of chords, licks and tricks to enrich your rhythm guitar playing?
Have you ever wondered how great rhythm guitarists combine chord playing with seamless, interesting and creative fills… and barely seem to move their fingers?
Beyond Rhythm Guitar takes you on a journey of discovery that teaches you the best ways to build fills and solo guitar lines around the most important chords on the guitar. You’ll learn the scale shapes, approaches and secret techniques that the best guitar players use to add melody lines to guitar chords.
With over 200 notated audio examples, every essential chord is dissected while you are taught how to use their unique shapes to form lead lines that fit seamlessly into your playing.
From open chords, to using capos and decorating barre chords in rock and blues guitar, Beyond Rhythm Guitar is a pop, rock and blues-focused study method that will help you create beautiful and interesting guitar melodies around chords.
You will quickly become the ‘go-to guitarist’ when it’s time to accompany singers and instrumentalists
Here’s What You Get:
- 106 Pages of rhythm guitar essentials stuffed with over 200 individually recorded examples – Learn to add exciting lead fills based around essential chord shapes.
- A complete course in rhythm guitar mastery – From simple scales to advanced lead guitar licks that teach you to play professional-sounding rhythm guitar: effortlessly.
- Detailed discussion of scale choice, fitting licks around chords, stylistics and genre.
- Complete solo rhythm studies that let you create real music from the concepts covered.
- Every essential chord, technique, scale, lick, fill, and trick to get you playing the right way as quickly as possible.
- Learn to combine sequences of chords and fills to effortlessly create your own musical rhythm guitar parts
- Discussion and breakdown of accompanying vocalists and playing in a strip
Learn guitar theory - The simple way, musical way
- Are you sick and tired of guitar theory being taught in overly complicated language?
- Are you looking to become a better musician and guitar player?
- Do you want to discover creative guitar soloing and songwriting approaches?
- Do you want to understand & use guitar scales, guitar modes and arpeggios?
- Do you want a complete guitar theory method that takes you from zero to hero in simple steps?
Master, hear and play music theory for guitar
The Practical Guide to Modern Music Theory for Guitar is different. Instead of boring and meaningless guitar theory essays, it makes music come alive. In fact, you’ll quickly learn to play the theory you’re being taught.
Go from meaningless information to stunning guitar solos and songwriting.
Guitarists are often guilty of 'collecting' musical theory without taking the time to learn to apply the information on their instrument. Modern Music Theory for Guitarists combines cutting edge, up to date musical information with over 200 exercises and examples to help you internalise and master the most important concepts in modern guitar playing. There are also bespoke, professional backing tracks from Guitar Techniques Magazine's Quist
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- How to construct major and minor guitar scales
- How to harmonise a scale and use chords to write songs
- The complete guide to naming chords on guitar (know your C9 from your Cadd9!)
- A breakdown of every important type of chord, and where they come from
- How to write chord progressions to create great songs
- How to change key smoothly (modulation) and how to use guitar chord qualities to make your music creative and unique
- Discover how to form guitar modes… and how to use them in your solos.
- Discover the secret of triads, arpeggios and pentatonic scales you can use to create rich-sounding solos that’ll amaze your friends
- A complete deconstruction of all the 3-note, 4-note and 5-note soloing approaches hidden in every scale
Bonus hundreds of guitar licks demonstrate every single concept
Bonus Professional backing tracks to help you practise every guitar scale
Bonus The complete guide to Roman numeral notation for short hand song writing on guitar
Bonus A ‘cheat sheet' of the most common soloing approaches to save you hours in the practice room
Bonus 200 audio tracks to download so you can hear every single guitar theory concept in action
Learn the guitar theory… then use it!
There are so many sources of information out there these days it's hard to know where to begin and what's important when it comes to applying music theory to the guitar. This book has been designed to take you on a journey from essential first principles through to complex, exciting musical ideas while all the time teaching you the musical application of each concept.
Essential guitar knowledge and musical guitar skills
The Complete Guide to Modern Music Theory begins with the formation of the Major scale and builds steadily from the concepts taught in the first few chapters to help you master, hear and apply all the essential theory used today.