Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More 50 million songs to make the moment Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

#1 REVIEWERon 7 January 2018
Joy Ellis is talented writer and always delivers compelling police procedural drama.  I have read several of her books and each one delivers time and time again.
In ‘Beware the Past’ DCI Matt Ballard is approaching retirement and is still haunted by one case 25 years ago where three boys were brutally murdered in the remote Gibbet Fen.  The killings stopped when the suspect was killed in a hit and run however Ballard was never certain that the suspect was guilty and now the nightmare begins again...

Ballard receives a large brown envelope containing the picture of the very last victim ...at the time of his death. More photos are received ...some were sent to his team. All are photos are of the three boys murdered all those years ago.
And then another boy is taken and killed. Is the murderer the same from before ... or is this a copy cat killer? How did he get these photos? What does he want with Ballard?

The book is haunting and disturbing in places however as a well written fast-paced crime thriller it really jumps off the page. I definitely was not disappointed with this stand alone book...
6 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 February 2018
A thrilling and enthralling detective yarn. Rather difficult to put down even though yes many times the story indicated that information had to have been leaked by a staff member. To be quite honest I do not know whose mind is or was warped the most .That being Ted or the other players who I will not name so not to spoil the outcome or the author . As usual mistakes are made by the Baddies and eventually they get caught. We humans are a strange lot.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 7 March 2018
Riveting story with a killer twist that I didn't see coming. Once the adoption angle came in I thought the plot was going in a different direction but I was quite wrong. My only criticism was the sexual relationship with a junior officer which is wrong on every level and detracted from my respect for the DCI.
on 25 June 2018
A crime thriller focused on a retiring DCI and unsolved murders of the past. Loyalty, friendship, romance and intrigue all play a part in the unravelling of a mystery where DCI becomes a target for revenge. Twists in the storyline keep the reader guessing. A good read
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 January 2018
I know this book has received good reviews from other readers but I found it too vicious and gruesome. The story is good, the characters well fleshed out but I just could not finish the last 15% of the book.
One person found this helpful
on 13 January 2018
Talk about mind games, talk about crime thrillers, talk about psychological flips and flops.. this book by Joy Ellis has got it all and more.. And just when you think you’ve got it figured out - whammy - your back in the psych space, back in the twilight zone..
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2018
Thank you Joy Ellis for another brilliant book. Gripping is a good description. “Unputdownable” is another. Tense, exciting and thoroughly absorbing. Finished it far too quickly so need another. No pressure Joy. 😀
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 March 2018
This story is the best I've read to date. Storyline keeps you interested all the way through, guessing what will happen, why and who. The ending is very satisfying with twists and turns right up to the last paragraph.
on 17 February 2018
I love Joy Ellis. I have read all of the Nicki Galena series, plus everything else she has written, and I must say this book is a stand-out. It took a little while to grab me, but once it did I could not put it down. This woman is a very talented writer, and I hope she writes many more books, because I will read them all. Thank you Joy,
on 27 April 2018
A lot to take in and sometimes studded with very gruesome descriptions but it did keep my interest. A very surprising ending - I certainly picked the wrong culprit .