Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

The Wife Between Us
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$14.99

#1 REVIEWERon 25 February 2018
‘The Wife Between Us’ by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen is one twisted read. I was in the mood for psychological suspense and boy did I find it...

The story is told mainly from the perspective of Nellie, recently divorced from Richard. The marriage and divorce were brutal and she quickly learns that Richard is already engaged to someone. The story then begins to center around what Nellie can do to change that situation...

This could be your typical scorned vengeful ex-wife story who can’t reconcile the fact she’s been replaced for a younger woman. How she’s not handling it well, she’s drowning her sorrows in wine, hides from the aunt that took her in, is failing at her job, and of course obsessing about the new woman. It’s uncomfortable to read, however what’s clear is there’s something in the way she recites her tale that tells us we’re not getting the entire story.

As the novel progresses it is clear nothing is as it seems and you really like none of the characters and who they are becomes the enigma to unravel. And the reader has to work hard at following it as it isn’t obvious with each new chapter who the point-of-view character is nor the timeline. Are we at the beginning of the first romance or the beginning of the second romance... which wives story are we reading... The stories are multi-layered and skewered.

In order to keep from spoiling the story I won’t relate any more of the plot.
You think you know where the storyline is headed and then suddenly it turns twists again. I thoroughly enjoyed the details and the pieces to the puzzle all fit but not in the places that I expected. Even after I finished reading I still wonder if I actually have the story right... but for the mental volleying along I give it 4.5 Stars.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 March 2018
I found this very disappointing, lacking in atmosphere and depth, and with a highly predictable twist. The key to a great thriller, for me, lies in the space between the words, but there was none here. Full of clunky exposition, and inelegantly contrived excuses for backstory. Not a book I'd recommend.
on 17 February 2018
This was absolutely riveting I couldn't put it down it was well written and such a good story so intricately interwoven
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 7 January 2018
Favorite Quotes:

Nick had waited tables alongside Nellie for a year, until he moved to Seattle with his band. Slick Nick, they’d all called him, although a few heartbroken women in his wake had modified it to Nick the Prick. He was the hottest guy Nellie had ever dated— although “dated” wasn’t an accurate description of their encounters, since most took place in a bedroom.

Nellie’s favorite part of the day was show-and-tell, which was predictably unpredictable. Once Annie had brought in a miniature Frisbee she’d found in the medicine cabinet. Nellie had returned the diaphragm to Annie’s mother at pickup. “At least it wasn’t my vibrator,” the mother had joked, instantly endearing her to Nellie.

I was happy, I think, but I wonder now if my memory is playing tricks on me. If it is giving me the gift of an illusion. We all layer them over our remembrances; the filters through which we want to see our lives.

My Review:

The Wife Between Us was brilliantly crafted, ingeniously written, and diabolically clever. I was instantly sucked into the hypnotic vortex of the narrator and remained enthralled with my Kindle while taut with tension, intensely curious, and helplessly intrigued. These frighteningly talented authors lured me into several traps and forced me to see the main characters under a completely different lens multiple times. My opinions were constantly shifting and I was frequently conflicted and challenged. I couldn’t decide whether to pity, admire, or revile the main narrator, nor could I tell if she was depressed, crazy, a vulnerable fool, or fiendishly devious. It was perfection. I am in awe of the stellar wordcraft and have an intense yearning to reread and savor this stunning tale one more time.
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 January 2018
This is one book where the marketing blurb has it right.
Don’t assume....I did and I was wrong!

I love an unreliable narrator and this one had it in spades. There were many times that I was thinking one thing and off it went in another direction.
If you’re not a fan of alternating characters/chapters then you may not like this but I found it was easy to understand and follow, although it occasionally went off in different tangents and I suddenly realised the narrator was talking about something in the past (all related).
I loved the whole story but have only given it 4 stars because for me, I didn’t feel that ‘WOW’ factor. It doesn’t mean that I really enjoyed it any less.
There is not more I want to say, go into this book blind, it’s the best way to appreciate it.

Thank you to the Publisher and Netgalley for a copy to read and review.
One person found this helpful
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 13 January 2018
The Wife Between Us.... do not assume that you know anybody.. do not asaume that you know what is happening.

Twist after twist makes this a fast paced read. I really enjoyed this book.. after hearing so much about it I was hoping that it would not disappoint... it did not!

Thanks to St Martins Press via Netgalley for a copy of this book to read and review.
on 22 February 2018
Sadly, this was not mu kind of book. The story starts out fairly interesting and I enjoyed it. Later on, though, it all becomes confusing and I had to push myself to finish the book. I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thanks to NetGalley and Pan Macmillan!