Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More 50 million songs to make the moment Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

Six Ways to Sunday
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$14.24

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 June 2018
I've tried one other Karly Lane book, but something about it at the time didn't work for me, so I'm really glad to say that Six Ways to Sunday did work, I've really enjoyed it.
It's a different style of rural romance. I can't think of another book I've read that begins with the main characters already married, then ducks back into a quick recap of how they met and their whirlwind city romance. The bulk of the book then returns to newly married life in the regional town and farm lands of Pallaburra (a very long way from Sydney) that is home to Dan and his parents, and their cattle-farming history, - the Kincaids.
Rilee is a fun character in the feisty mould. Dan is salt of the earth. I enjoyed them both on the page together.
Rilee has her own goals, and I love how she sets out to meet them, taking no prisoners on her way to create change in the town. I did wish Dan stood up to his folks more, particularly his Mum.
There is a nice secondary plot to the issues in the regional town, of teenage pregnancy, sexual health, lack of support services, lack of opportunity - I thought this was really well done.
If I have a gripe, it's just that sense of such a neat bow being drawn in the last 5% of the book. I guess I was looking for a little more of a showdown between Riley, Ellen and Dan, rather than having issues resolved off the page.
One person found this helpful
on 31 July 2018
3.5**** This was a hard book for me to rate, I thought the issues raised in the story about teen pregnancy to be very important and very relevant and really enjoyed this part of the story and Rilee's fight to try and get the small town to stand up and take notice and take responsibility for this issue.
For the first half of the book I read it with my jaw clenched, other than Rilee and her friend Shae I didn't like any of the main characters, the way Dan and his parents behaved set me totally on edge. Right at the last minute in the book, they slightly redeem themselves, but I found this book hard going which is so unusual because I've always loved Karly's books.
on 9 December 2017
Another great read by Karly Lane. Classic characters in a real story setting - it is so close to the mark with the 'no girl is good enough for my son' mentality of some mum's; and add to that the complexity of living next door to the mother-in-law in an isolated area. Lane does the distinction between city and traditional country life values to perfection. It is another one of Karly Lane's "can't put down" books. A must read for anyone.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 December 2017
What a great story. This could be any town in any state anywhere. All young girls need a Rilee on Rhein side.
on 23 May 2018
Well written. So warming to see a author capture the hurdles of living in a small isolated community. Great read.
on 13 February 2018
Brillant what else can I say
on 6 June 2018
Easy read! Heart warming :)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 November 2017
Love, love, love this book! I was completely captivated by Rilee and Dan’s characters and the many momentous hurdles they seemed to face in the story. The adversaries of Ellen and Jacob provided enough friction in the story that was beyond frustrating for the romance reader in me who is all for a happily ever after finale :) Especially since these two characters were Dan’s parents! Even so, you could not dislike these adversarial characters as they too were pivotal, and whom held their own complications that blended well with Rilee and Dan’s story arc. There were twists and surprises in the read that added to the outstanding-ness in a story that was already an impressive read. I cannot rave enough about Six Ways To Sunday by Karly Lane, which is an easy fit in my top ten reads this year. It is a book that I could not put down and would go back and read again and again.
Review copy received from Allen & Unwin Australia
2 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 January 2018
I’ve loved all of Karly Lane’s books and Six Ways to Sunday didn’t disappoint. I read this book in one day it was such an easy, captivating read.

City girl Rilee falls for farmer Dan. She is a qualified naturopath and has a busy practice in Sydney. Rilee is unsure if she can leave all that she has worked for behind. She has had her heart broken before and vowed never to be that naive again. A friend convinces her to take a chance on love as she can move her work anywhere and start afresh. So Rilee goes with her heart and marries Dan.

Now living in Pallaburra Rilee soon learns that finding acceptance isn’t as easy as she imagined. Whilst she handles the many challenges of her new lifestyle Rilee does make a few heart warming friendships and also quite a few enemies amongst the townsfolk.

Lane touches on some very important topics during the book such as bringing healthcare and health education into isolated country areas, contraception and information for teenagers, men’s health issues, insecticides versus natural eradication of pests. All of these issues centre round Rilee and Dan getting to know each other as husband and wife during moments of great family disharmony.

Being a city girl myself and married to a farm boy I felt real empathy for Rilee and I loved that she was outspoken and confident, not letting anyone pull her down.

I loved Rilee’s parents, carefree and accepting of others, they were very confident with who they were and added a note of light-heartedness to the story.

Despite all their differences when tragedy strikes the family bands together.
“It was true what they said: times of crisis really did make people realise what was important in life.”

Highly recommended for all rural romance fans.
on 14 March 2018
Real life struggles coming from the city to the country! I really enjoyed this book from start to acknowledgement. Just a little bit of support is all one needs to succeed!

I moved to my small town 9 years ago and am still not classed as a local - this book brought home the struggles that some face when moving to a country town for a better life.

The message I took from this book is to not give up as life’s path is not always a sealed road you may have to take a few dirt roads to get to the good parts 😎