Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More

#1 REVIEWERon 11 February 2018
“Close to Home” hit the ground running and didn't stop, told in a unique way that sets the bar for crime writers, I finished it in one sitting.

When 8 year old Daisy goes missing it soon becomes apparent that her mother is less concerned than expected, her father appears to be hiding something and her brother is unusually withdrawn.

The title suggests the obvious thoughts... were the parents responsible, a neighbour perhaps, a sibling? Your expectation is of a suspenseful, edge-of-your seat thriller to find out not only the villain, but whether Daisy is dead or alive... and Cara Hunter delivers on that. There are lots of characters so if you do need to put it down don't leave it too long before you pick it up again.

The layout started off as most traditional stories do however than incorporates the use of social media well - Facebook Status', Twitter feeds and general newspaper snippets, which adds a modern touch & Shows how facts get blown out of proportion via social media & people jump to conclusions.

The plot of “Close to Home” is well developed, despite a slow start, and there are some unexpected twists, particularly at the end. For all that, this previously unknown-to-me author is new and exciting. And as this is the first in the D. I. Adam Fawley series, I’m really looking forward to reading DI Fawley’s future investigations.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 February 2018
Absolutely Brilliant - I thought I would give this a go as it was recommended by Richard and Judy and I wasn't disappointed. I was hooked from the beginning and found it hard to put down. It was one of those books that you didn't want to end. Well written and fast paced and kept you guessing the whole way through. I never saw the ending coming. Well worth a read.
on 14 February 2018
Loved the book one of the best I've ever read. I picked the ending about 3/5th through, so quite pleased with myself for that. Excellently written and so hard to put down. Shining example of why I love female english writers. Highly highly recommended so much so that I am prepared to pay a premium price for her next book.
on 13 February 2018
I don't know how to review this book.... nothing like I expected.
Certainly not the ending.I could have done without the comments, but otherwise very. Interesting.
on 15 February 2018
This book needs serious editing. Jumps from place to place, character to character with totally unbelievable dialogue and scenarios. Save yourself the time and re read a classic. I couldn’t even finish it (a first for me in 6 years!)
on 20 February 2018
I was hooked from the first page. Great storyline, believable characters and the twist at the end was not anticipated. Highly recommended.
on 1 February 2018
Wow! What an ending. Such an intriguing read. The characters were so convincing and the plot laid out so well. Highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 December 2017
Set in the lovely university town of Oxford, I was expecting this to be, from current reviews, a gripping thriller about the hunt, led by DI Adam Fawley, for eight-year-old Daisy Mason, who goes missing from a family party. The title suggests the obvious: were the parents responsible, a neighbour perhaps, a sibling? Your expectation is of a suspenseful, edge-of-your seat thriller to find out not only the culprit, but of course, is she dead or alive. It certainly lived up to all of that, but my guessing journey was completely thrown off course with a surprise twist at the end. I really wasn’t expecting that...in a good way! (Sorry, no spoilers.)

A very skilfully written and devised plot with a full cast of well-portrayed characters…those you’re meant to hate (oh heck, you really hate them) and those who are meant to garner your sympathy, empathy even, did just that.

However, just a couple of issues needled me a little throughout. Firstly, various fonts and typefaces were used to isolate 'public' tweets (the public invariably become judge and jury in these cases)…but some were extremely difficult to read as they were very feint grey which does not work in Kindleland. Not a deal-breaker, but I just didn’t see the value of it as well as struggling to read them.

Secondly, whilst the book was written from both first POV and third-person POV in the present tense (not my favourite, I'm afraid), the present tense didn’t work for me with the flashbacks. They were in the past, so for me, they should have been in the past tense. And a message to the author, editor and copy-editor: ‘there’s (there is)’ is followed by a single noun, not a plural one. This is elementary grammar, so I was a tad disappointed to see the error in one of the slightly better-edited books I’ve read.

For all that, this previously unknown-to-me author is a new exciting find for me. Not only that, I gather this is the first in the D. I. Adam Fawley series, so I’m really looking forward to getting to know more about him.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 December 2017
Close to home by Cara Hunter.
A child goes missing Daisy Mason. They are having a party. Everyone is looking at the family but did they do it?
This was an absolutely fantastic read with brilliant characters. What a twister of a read. I did not see that coming. A very gripping and shocking read. This is a must read and I would highly recommend this book. Definitely worth more than 5*. Netgalley and penguin books UK.
on 14 December 2017
Close to Home

I have a morbid draw to books about child abductions, I can’t get enough of them. I think it makes me pull my children that much closer to me.

Daisy has gone missing from her family party, her parents don’t seem that bothered...could they be involved?

This is a gripping, compelling read that genuinely kept me guessing until the end. The first book in a new series, I’m really looking forward to book two! Four shiny stars from purplebookstand.