Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

#1 REVIEWERon 11 February 2018
“Close to Home” hit the ground running and didn't stop, told in a unique way that sets the bar for crime writers, I finished it in one sitting.

When 8 year old Daisy goes missing it soon becomes apparent that her mother is less concerned than expected, her father appears to be hiding something and her brother is unusually withdrawn.

The title suggests the obvious thoughts... were the parents responsible, a neighbour perhaps, a sibling? Your expectation is of a suspenseful, edge-of-your seat thriller to find out not only the villain, but whether Daisy is dead or alive... and Cara Hunter delivers on that. There are lots of characters so if you do need to put it down don't leave it too long before you pick it up again.

The layout started off as most traditional stories do however than incorporates the use of social media well - Facebook Status', Twitter feeds and general newspaper snippets, which adds a modern touch & Shows how facts get blown out of proportion via social media & people jump to conclusions.

The plot of “Close to Home” is well developed, despite a slow start, and there are some unexpected twists, particularly at the end. For all that, this previously unknown-to-me author is new and exciting. And as this is the first in the D. I. Adam Fawley series, I’m really looking forward to reading DI Fawley’s future investigations.
One person found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 February 2018
Absolutely Brilliant - I thought I would give this a go as it was recommended by Richard and Judy and I wasn't disappointed. I was hooked from the beginning and found it hard to put down. It was one of those books that you didn't want to end. Well written and fast paced and kept you guessing the whole way through. I never saw the ending coming. Well worth a read.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 15 April 2018
Let's start with the negatives...
Lots of characters / bit too many Facebook feeds / needs editing.
However... It was a good story which keeps the reader guessing.
It jumps from "past" to "present' but is easy enough to follow.
The ending was a surprise and a bit unbelievable.
on 14 February 2018
Loved the book one of the best I've ever read. I picked the ending about 3/5th through, so quite pleased with myself for that. Excellently written and so hard to put down. Shining example of why I love female english writers. Highly highly recommended so much so that I am prepared to pay a premium price for her next book.
on 30 April 2018
Took a while to get into this at the beginning, and I found the tweets and other social media things a bit tedious, but that might be just me. I suppose the author wanted to be relevant. But once the twists started to emerge, I knew there would be a great ending. And there was.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 February 2018
I don't know how to review this book.... nothing like I expected.
Certainly not the ending.I could have done without the comments, but otherwise very. Interesting.
on 15 February 2018
This book needs serious editing. Jumps from place to place, character to character with totally unbelievable dialogue and scenarios. Save yourself the time and re read a classic. I couldn’t even finish it (a first for me in 6 years!)
One person found this helpful
on 4 April 2018
I have not read such an intriguing book in a long time. Hard to put down, hard not to keep it ticking over in your mind between reads. Something completely different in the crime genre.
on 25 February 2018
I thought slow to start, I was thinking predictable easy read. But then WOW...couldn't put it down. Read into the early hours of the am, just to finish. The ending just gobsmacked me.
on 20 February 2018
I was hooked from the first page. Great storyline, believable characters and the twist at the end was not anticipated. Highly recommended.