Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

on 4 February 2016
A manifesto and a how-to in one. Cal Newport delivers a stand-out guide for anyone who has struggled with distraction from deep work.

Bear in mind, this book isn't for everyone. If you are an academic, writer, or any other kind of deep problem-solver, then big blocks of uninterrupted time for thinking are essential. But this isn't true of all occupations. Some of the guidelines for avoiding distraction will be useful for a wider range of readers, but we should understand that the need for deep work is not uniformly distributed.

I got a lot out of this book. If there is one criticism I had, it's that he seems to assume that it's ok for executives to be always "on", available to their teams and the firehose of information. (He is an academic, after all, where you can get away with avoiding admin work as a strategy to increase research output.) But strategic thinking IS deep thinking, and many senior people in public policy, especially, need to find the balance between the always-on mode and the deeper work that brings the analytical insights needed in that realm. People in those positions might want to complement Newport's book with "Paid to Think" by David Goldsmith.
on 30 September 2017
Best self-help book ever. Not because it's inspiring or I want to imitate the feats of the author - but because it just simply works. If you stick to most of the principles in this book you will get stuff achieved and of high quality. Thank you Cal for writing this well-written book.
on 23 February 2018
Worth reading, highly recommend to academics. Tips on management of distracted life by social media and emails and careful illustrations of the importance of deep work. I won't write more as I want to preserve my time for my own deep work!
on 22 May 2016
This is the best book I have read about how to convert the idea of deliberate practice into practical strategies. Including how to carve out the time you need in order to do deep work
on 20 January 2016
A compelling case for deep work by a man who walks his talk; particularly liked the strategies at the end of the book.
on 18 May 2017
Really changed the way i run my day and the choices i make. I made steady progress in building my career capital
on 21 February 2016
Excellent Book. I really like the practical tips on how to do deep work. I have already incorporated some of these into my life.
on 1 September 2016
There is so much in this book that has made me more conscious of my hours and the shallow work I have done for so long. Having implemented along the way deep work, I have now started a new business and have mine running forward and not just idling.
on 17 March 2017
I am new to the idea of deep work. And am an exhausted customer of shallow social-media filled life.

This book is particularly refreshing as it presents empirical evidence to support the author's argument to deep work. I'm trying deep work.
on 12 January 2018
This book forces you to face up to where you spend your time, by distinguishing between deep and shallow work. It gives a range of strategies to facilitate deep work and eschew shallow work. The approach is flexible to suit many different work styles. I’ve take a lot from this book. Well worth the read.