Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

on 4 February 2016
A manifesto and a how-to in one. Cal Newport delivers a stand-out guide for anyone who has struggled with distraction from deep work.

Bear in mind, this book isn't for everyone. If you are an academic, writer, or any other kind of deep problem-solver, then big blocks of uninterrupted time for thinking are essential. But this isn't true of all occupations. Some of the guidelines for avoiding distraction will be useful for a wider range of readers, but we should understand that the need for deep work is not uniformly distributed.

I got a lot out of this book. If there is one criticism I had, it's that he seems to assume that it's ok for executives to be always "on", available to their teams and the firehose of information. (He is an academic, after all, where you can get away with avoiding admin work as a strategy to increase research output.) But strategic thinking IS deep thinking, and many senior people in public policy, especially, need to find the balance between the always-on mode and the deeper work that brings the analytical insights needed in that realm. People in those positions might want to complement Newport's book with "Paid to Think" by David Goldsmith.
10 people found this helpful
on 30 September 2017
Best self-help book ever. Not because it's inspiring or I want to imitate the feats of the author - but because it just simply works. If you stick to most of the principles in this book you will get stuff achieved and of high quality. Thank you Cal for writing this well-written book.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2018
I’m one of those people who is forever tinkering with his work flows, trying to get them just so. I loved this book because it crystallised a lot of my own partly formed ideas about productivity, creativity and focus. Other reviews have given point by point breakdowns of the content. I’ll just say, I am very grateful for having had the chance to read it.
on 21 March 2018
Exceptional tools and techniques to help manage time and achieve more in modern work culture. Worth a read. Book highlights completely different perspective on lot of things we do today which we could do it differently and more effectively.
on 23 February 2018
Worth reading, highly recommend to academics. Tips on management of distracted life by social media and emails and careful illustrations of the importance of deep work. I won't write more as I want to preserve my time for my own deep work!
on 22 May 2016
This is the best book I have read about how to convert the idea of deliberate practice into practical strategies. Including how to carve out the time you need in order to do deep work
2 people found this helpful
on 20 January 2016
A compelling case for deep work by a man who walks his talk; particularly liked the strategies at the end of the book.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 March 2018
would prefer to put Cal’s suggestions to work and then respond more comprehensively anon. Good job, Prf Newport, I’m going to give them a go
on 18 May 2017
Really changed the way i run my day and the choices i make. I made steady progress in building my career capital
on 21 February 2016
Excellent Book. I really like the practical tips on how to do deep work. I have already incorporated some of these into my life.
One person found this helpful