Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More 50 million songs to make the moment Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

on 4 February 2016
A manifesto and a how-to in one. Cal Newport delivers a stand-out guide for anyone who has struggled with distraction from deep work.

Bear in mind, this book isn't for everyone. If you are an academic, writer, or any other kind of deep problem-solver, then big blocks of uninterrupted time for thinking are essential. But this isn't true of all occupations. Some of the guidelines for avoiding distraction will be useful for a wider range of readers, but we should understand that the need for deep work is not uniformly distributed.

I got a lot out of this book. If there is one criticism I had, it's that he seems to assume that it's ok for executives to be always "on", available to their teams and the firehose of information. (He is an academic, after all, where you can get away with avoiding admin work as a strategy to increase research output.) But strategic thinking IS deep thinking, and many senior people in public policy, especially, need to find the balance between the always-on mode and the deeper work that brings the analytical insights needed in that realm. People in those positions might want to complement Newport's book with "Paid to Think" by David Goldsmith.
10 people found this helpful
on 30 September 2017
Best self-help book ever. Not because it's inspiring or I want to imitate the feats of the author - but because it just simply works. If you stick to most of the principles in this book you will get stuff achieved and of high quality. Thank you Cal for writing this well-written book.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2018
I’m one of those people who is forever tinkering with his work flows, trying to get them just so. I loved this book because it crystallised a lot of my own partly formed ideas about productivity, creativity and focus. Other reviews have given point by point breakdowns of the content. I’ll just say, I am very grateful for having had the chance to read it.
One person found this helpful
on 12 January 2018
This book forces you to face up to where you spend your time, by distinguishing between deep and shallow work. It gives a range of strategies to facilitate deep work and eschew shallow work. The approach is flexible to suit many different work styles. I’ve take a lot from this book. Well worth the read.
One person found this helpful
on 15 January 2016
Cal Newport makes a clear case as to why we need to learn to work deeply and provides his insights on how to develop this valuable skill. Other reviewers have expounded on its contents. For me, as with all books of this type, the true value is in applying its lessons, seeing what works, and continually improving and refining. For that alone, it is well worth it!
3 people found this helpful
on 8 June 2018
Simple 4 step plan.
Lots of good examples of how others have introduced this Deep Work ethic into their lives.

This is definitely a way to get ahead of your peers if you are willing to apply the Deep Work principles with deliberate practice.
on 21 March 2018
Exceptional tools and techniques to help manage time and achieve more in modern work culture. Worth a read. Book highlights completely different perspective on lot of things we do today which we could do it differently and more effectively.
on 22 May 2016
This is the best book I have read about how to convert the idea of deliberate practice into practical strategies. Including how to carve out the time you need in order to do deep work
2 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2018
Worth reading, highly recommend to academics. Tips on management of distracted life by social media and emails and careful illustrations of the importance of deep work. I won't write more as I want to preserve my time for my own deep work!
on 26 June 2018
This was a great book. Full of practical suggestions based on research and experience. It was also easy to read and remain focused