Learn More Learn More Learn More Shop now Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

on 27 July 2016
I'm not keen on the style used in this book, it 'tells' rather than 'shows' and the characters are very under-developed and unbelievable. The plot starts well with a good mystery and made me want to keep reading the first couple of chapters, however it quickly breaks down and becomes so unrealistic that I found it a real effort to finish the book. Getting to the end was not even worth it as it finishes on a couple of revelations which you can guess will happen from about half-way through or seem to be plucked from nowhere. All in all, wouldn't recommend.
3 people found this helpful
on 17 December 2015
Normally books that jump back and forth between present and past are annoying or frustrating (Eg Gone Girl). Not so with this book! The author has a wonderful talent for making you feel what the characters are feeling. I felt breathless and scared as they walked through that forest! You could imagine yourself being in the shoes of Daniel & Laura and being very glad it is just a book. A great story, well structured & believable.
4 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 September 2016
Wow - this book was incredible. I was gripped from the start and just couldn't put it down. You are kept guessing for pretty much most of the book and the writer very cleverly refers to 'what happened in Romania' without giving any hint of what did happen for at least half of the book. What a page turner - and just when you think you know what's happened the twists and turns begin. Just loved it. I always rate my reads marks out of 10 and this is the first book I would have to rate a 12. If you love psychological thrillers you HAVE to read this one.
on 18 January 2016
What happened to Daniel and Laura in Romania? What unspeakable horror did they see in that house in the forest? This is the basis of the plot about a young couple whose European holiday comes to an sudden and horrific end. They return home to London, but their lives have been irrevocably changed forever. And it doesn't end there - the horror of Romania does indeed, as the title of the books suggests, follow them home! This is an excellent psychological thriller with the author slowly feeding us pieces of the puzzle building to a gripping climax followed by a final unexpected twist. There were no slow bits in this book, and I found it hard to put down. Thoroughly recommended. I will be reading more from this author.
on 5 July 2016
I have mixed feelings about this book. For the first part, I kept wanting him to hurry up and tell me what happened in the house. Once he had, I found it more enjoyable! But then, I don't like it when people beat around the bush, so it could just be that which bugged me.

Another reason for only three stars is that I like a lot of detail in the books that I read, and this didn't have quite enough for me. Not just descriptions of places, but the thoughts and emotions that go on inside characters' heads, expressions on their faces and their companions when talking to people - that sort of thing. I like to feel like I'm there, not just like someone is retelling the story and skipping over those details. I felt some of Alina's scenes could have been far more compelling and real if the author had added more detail.

Other than those things, I enjoyed the book and found myself wanting to know what happened.
One person found this helpful
on 29 July 2016
Oh wow!! Such a brilliant psychological thriller. I was captivated right from the beginning. From start to finish I didn't want to put this book down. The author had me guessing all the way through. Only slowly divulging what happened on that fateful night in the woods in that scary old house. Absolutely loved this book. I've never read any of Mark Edwards novels before but I wouldn't hestitate to read another one. This is the first book I've read in a very long time where I had absolutely no idea how this story was going to end. It had me on the edge of my seat and I can guarantee I'll never forget this book when travelling on a train again. BRILLIANT!!!
on 11 October 2016
I really enjoyed this book - chapter 1 had me visualising the isolated Romanian train station and the woods! Gradually what happened in the woods that night is revealed and I didn't see that topic coming! The story is told from the point of view from the boyfriend - I did start reading and kept thinking it was his girlfriend narrating it! (Guess I am used to the POV being from a female). The writing was easy to read, very engaging and you are dying to know what the big reveal is.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 22 December 2015
I really liked The Magpies and wanted to read something else by the same author. I was disappointed with this. The plot was just way too complicated. It was clumsily done too, with a lot of explaining. If the author had just focused on one crime, it would have been much better.
One person found this helpful
on 9 June 2016
I've thoroughly enjoyed this book and I would highly recommend it if you enjoy a psychological thriller with a very good plot and characters. From the setting of the story, to the characters, plot and details of the story you'll find yourself caught in a web you can't get easily out, except by continue to read it. The way the author plays with what your perception of the characters based on the information you have about them, versus the truth will make this novel even more interesting to you. This is the kind of book which could easily be made into a film and the film would need to live up to the expectations of the book, as it is that good.
I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but really you won't regret this read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 November 2017
This book starts on a high note and then makes a slow, aggravating decline encouraged by a ridiculous secret and a cast of equally ridiculous characters. This book will help you sharpen your skimming skills.