Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More 50 million songs to make the moment Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

Customer reviews

The Godforsaken Daughter
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$5.47

on 8 August 2015
Ruby has a hateful and controlling mother. Her life is only made better by the support from her loving father. All that changes when he dies which leaves her to care for her mother. Although Ruby is rather weak, she is quite likeable and you cheer her on as she starts to transform her life. Its a Cinderella story with a twist or two.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 February 2017
I love Christina Mckenna's books. The mystery and the unexpected combine to make an exciting tale. The setting is vividly portrayed, a small town in Ireland inhabited by fascinating but realistic characters. This is the third of her books I have read and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.
on 17 April 2015
If I could, I would give this book six stars.
The story is so cleverly crafted and beautifully written. I hope there will be at least one more book introducing new characters and keeping us loving the older ones. I do not particularly like reviews which outline the story, so I will simply wholeheartedly recommend this book.
4 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2016
We know so much now about grim doings in 'that priest-ridden country': not just about the scandals permeating church-run institutions, but also about the many lives circumscribed and warped by ignorance, harsh doctrine and poverty. The outlook for women especially in C20th Ireland was often bleak. Christina McKenna does not trivialize the darker elements of the social context in which this story unfolds, yet her characters find hope and love and set a standard for simple goodness. Ultimately this is an uplifting tale which comes down on the side of understanding and freedom.
on 12 September 2016
I read the misremembered man before and was so happy when I came across some of the same characters in the godforsaken daughter. I really enjoyed the book, I love the flow of writing that is easy to read and hard to put down...BUT - I have to ask the author, what happened to Jamie's Lydeea??! I was waiting for her to appear the whole novel due to ending of the last novel. Either way i'm about to read the disenchanted widow and am looking forward to it :)
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 21 June 2015
I enjoyed Misremembered Man and bought this book to continue Mick's story but found it somewhat disappointing and ultimately predictable. Maybe the author said it all in the first book. The Godforsaken Daughter did broaden the story but I remain somewhat neutral about it
on 28 April 2015
The title would suggest a miserable and depressing book. What a delightful surprise. I absolutely loved it - the humour and the way in which the story was woven together. I just wish I could find more books by this gifted writer. Congratulations Christina and many thanks.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 September 2016
not a book I would not recommend I found it be more suited for a younger person not for adult readers as I found the plot to be very vague as I could follow plot I found the story very dull
on 2 June 2017
Excellent. This is the second of this Author's novels I have read. As good as the THE MISREMEMBERED MAN. The 'The Man' was in this story again. What fun. Tops.
on 1 October 2016
Interesting characters. A mother with hatred in her voice. Loved this story. A bit like Cinderella. Couldn't put it down until I had seen what had happened to the daughter. Excellent