Learn More 50 million songs to make the moment Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn More Learn more Learn More Learn More

on 19 March 2018
I gave this a five star rating as it is a great book and great read. It is about an astronaut who was left for dead on Mars little did they know he survived for a year and a half on the planet surviving and eventually earth found out he had survived by using what he could use on very smart astronaut who was eventually got rescued and eventually back to earth the movie like the book was hard to put down seen the movie twice and enjoyed it both times you will definitely enjoy the book and a good author.
on 3 December 2015
One of life’s mysteries is: do you read the book first or see the movie first. In this case I saw The Martian in the first week of release and enjoyed it vey much . . . . but what of the book?
I can easily say I enjoyed the book more. Naturally there was much more detail in the book and should you read something you don’t quite understand, you can go back and read it again. There was a bit of that going on and looking things up on google also happened from time to time.
But what was interesting was this feeling I had that “The Martian was a true story ! I know that’s stupid but I couldn’t help think it was some kind of real life adventure. It makes you wonder if humans will ever get to Mars.
The author Andy Weir did a great job on researching the details of space travel, current and in the future. I know many authors have staff to do the research on matter of history but did Andy so the same. I imagine it would have tacked an extra year on the project if Andy did all the research himself. A good question for Raf to ask should he get the chance.
I would definitely recommend The Martian to a friend.
on 13 February 2016
I've got to say that despite all the "tech talk" at times, I really enjoyed this book. Mark Watney is funny, inventive and definitely the type of guy you want around in an emergency. The scenario - being trapped alone on a planet - is terrifying to even contemplate, but through a series of ingenious well thought out idea's our hero manages. The only downside for me personally was I felt that I was sometimes "overpowered" by the sometimes incessant "tech talk". It tended to distract me from the real story -what was happening to Mark- with jargon I didn't really need to know every small mathematical detail. It was fine in the beginning but I found it a little wearing towards the end. Hence 4 stars instead of 5.
Overall a great story that is beautifully crafted.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 June 2015
Loved this book from start to finish. Humorous, snarky and insightful. I felt I had learnt so much about space travel by the end of this book. It definitely makes you think about the screening process and training astronauts must go through when they go on missions. I loved the mental strength of the character and will definitely have to go back and re-read the book again.
on 9 July 2015
What a great read. Not entirely sure about the science, but who cares when the manifest fortitude of one man, and the whole world's resources are aimed at saving a single life. If there was anything that the Red Planet did not throw at him in the way of disasters, Andy could not think of it. He tried writing every possible misfortune. I think that this is a good demonstration of perseverance and lateral thinking by the hero. I enjoyed the book a lot, and read it completely in three sittings.
on 31 October 2015
I never thought that I'd love this book as much as I did. From the beginning and to the end I was transported to Mars and back to Earth as I felt myself observing every move and every sequence with such clarity, it was ridiculous! This book is so well written that the it is in the detail of the story that makes the story so enjoyable to read.

I've struck luck lately in my selection of books that I've read. I highly recommend this book, even if you're not into sci-fi.

I also went and watched the movie, after I read the book and the movie did the book justice, IMO.
on 15 March 2017
Great book, easy reading...highly recommended!
Tech heads will get a kick out of all the research, facts, figures and ingenuity contained within. For the most part I can't fault any of the figures/research (as I wouldn't have clue whether they are correct or not), but having an electrical background, I found some of the electrical content lacking in accuracy of both terminology and real world application. This makes me wonder how accurate some of the rest of the books facts and figures are, that aside, who wants to be the guy sitting back going "As If!!!". All or none of the the story may be plausible, but that is beside the point I guess. It's a bloody good book and thats all that really matters. Very keen to actually watch the movie now.
on 4 October 2015
If i had of tried to understand the science, I would have been lost. But I was able to LOVE this tale without understanding the scientific explanations that were bundled around a really cool story. Will be making my 12 year old read this ... and nowI am off to the movies to see it on the big screen.
on 16 February 2017
I loved the way this book reads, it's unlike any other book I have read (I don't read that much so go easy on me) reading it felt more like a conversation, like I was listening to my Opa's war stories or interviewing someone for a documentary. It flowed so easily. It had me laughing, gasping and just generally loving it! Couldn't put it down!

Scifi nerds and anyone who enjoys survival and space would love this.

In the words of our fearless leader "Persistence pays off, you know- it's like what I always say, ask anyone, I always say this. But you wont see it because of that FAKE NEWS! Good work."

8 emu's out of 8.
on 29 November 2015
An astronaut, who is also a scientist and engineer, is stranded on Mars following a huge dust storm during which he is injured to the point that his fellow crew believe he has died and they evacuate. What follows is the tale of his struggle to survive against all odds in a barren unfamiliar landscape. The story starts slowly but the tension builds all the way to the end. It's a well told story filled with drama and a touch of humour.