TOP 500 REVIEWER
Reviewed in Australia on 4 March 2020
This one's a little tricky for me to review.
After what I thought was an excellent start, with high stakes and a whole lot of intrigue and drama, I found things slowed to the point where I'd almost decided this one wasn't for me.
But what kept me reading (and I'm glad I kept reading) was a real love of this spunky little heroine, Alice. She is just a classic character - the scrapes she got into - her audacity and courage - Alice really appealed to me.
I also particularly liked her honesty, and that spread through all areas of this book. It felt natural to me that Alice and Robert would forge a marriage of convenience. I liked how those two, and the secondary characters such as John and Elizabeth and Martha, they all tended to try to talk out their feelings and problems and find solutions rather than stir up angst and drama through having 'big secrets/misunderstandings'.
Alice and Robert in bed together were lovely... and I felt very invested in the early days of their married life.
In the end, I rated the story a solid 4 stars. It's very well written, in an engaging way, and while I can't comment on the accuracy of historical detail (I'm no expert), the Australia in this book felt authentic and real.
It felt just a little long for me, but that said, I could have read about Alice for days and days. She really is delightful.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink