#1 REVIEWER
1 April 2017
I'm ashamed to say that Ruth Dugdall is a new author to me, but as she was available through the Kindle First program I thought I'd give her a go. I am so pleased I did. Wow! Part disturbing, part mesmerising, part real.

'My Sister and Other Liars' is incredibly true to life, featuring events that we often hear rumours about yet frequently are kept buried and hidden due to social stigma's.

A standalone psychological thriller, it is a story of two sisters, Sam and Jena. Focusing largely in on the story of 17 year old Sam who is currently residing in a hospital in Suffolk suffering anorexia. She is dealing with some tough emotional baggage by refusing to eat or to see her family. She is angry and confused. Slowly she begins to open up to her psychiatrist about her past to gain her freedom. What drove Sam to this? It is a tangled web... that slowly starts to unravel.

On the other hand Jena is in her 20's, the older of the two and 18 months earlier was brutally attacked, left with disabilities that devastated the entire family. Only Sam seems to want to find out the truth behind this crime. Going back and forth, Sam recounts the horrific events that lead her to being institutionalised 18 months ago. It is incredibly frightening and very unsettling to read. The story becomes a case of a 'whodunnit' as the novel moves on.

It is not an easy or comfortable read, but it is sympathically written that will keep you glued to the pages. The twists are subtle but challenging and I certainly didn't expect the last third of the book to take the turn it did, or the ending for that matter.

I can see why Ruth Dugdall is so acclaimed, her writing is flawless and she has a unique way of drawing you into the story and the characters lives.

This is a fabulous and thoroughly researched book which I highly recommend to fans of any suspense thrillers. The reader will be left thinking about this for days and dare I say it, looking at their community differently.
A great Kindle First choice.
27 people found this helpful