26 January 2019
I found this book a little hard to get into initially but once I sorted out who was who it really had me finding it difficult to put down. I thought the author did a great job at fleshing out the characters without making it all too onerous. I loved all the little surprises along he way. Eg. Annie having the affair and not Joe, and at the funeral when initially I thought Michael thought the carer was his mother but he was looking past her at his mother in the back ground. I admired Cara's tenacity to follow through in trying to unravel her family history. I felt very sad for her that she was robbed of her mother's love because her parents did not put her first before themselves in the decisions they made when she was two. Michael was a strong character, but was also compassionate and loving, especially towards Cara who he always tried to protect from the truth of what happened. I also liked the way Simeon was brought into the story in such an incidental way but was exactly the type of person Cara needed to help her heal and move on with her life. A great read that I will be recommending to friends.
2 people found this helpful