23 August 2014
This is the first Cormoran Strike novel I have read. I quickly followed it by another because I enjoyed it so much. Tearful, unattractive and priviledged young man appeals to Cormoron to solve the mystery of the assumed suicide of his much loved and beautiful adopted sister. Although there were many characters and suspects, the final expose was a complete surprise in spite of clues offered throughout. What I really loved about the book were the characters. They were depicted in a very efficient and 'true' manner. Sometimes I found it confusing because Galbraith tends to assume the reader knows London as well as he. I felt I needed a map a great deal of the time. Cormoran Strike, the one legged private detective and his offsider, Robin, the female "temp" secretary he is assigned are wonderful together making a very balanced and amusing 'strictly business only' couple. I would recommend this book to anybody who enjoys a well rounded 'who dunit' that has impeccable plot lines and great characters.
3 people found this helpful