Reviewed in Australia on 13 April 2020
The story is quite well written with no irritating typos or grammatical non-sense. The book kept my interest until the end although it also become more irritating as I ready on.

I found it annoying the way the parents kept lying to the children about the future. Making promises you cannot keep is generally a bad idea, at least in my view, but failing to keep them and getting no blow-back on it is unrealistic, even in a work of fiction. If I promise my son something, he tends to get pretty irate if I fail to deliver. A lot of the secrecy/lies from the governing clique to the plebs also seemed unnecessary and unlikely to work in practise either, at least in the absence of a well functioning authoritarian police state, which the author doesn’t indicate exists.

I am not a climatologist, so perhaps the author is correct in how the earth would respond to a reduction in sunlight - but I doubt it. Precipitation requires energy, less energy means less world-wide precipitation, so I think it is doubtful there would be heavy and ongoing snowfall through-out a world starved on incoming sunlight. Similarly, for a tidally locked world such as Eos, I suspect almost all the moisture would end up locked up on the frozen side, unless perhaps the “dark side” of the planet was mostly ocean, in which case I suppose an expanding ice-shelf might allow some water recycling. However, in Eos the dark side is all mountain.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink