Reviewed in Australia on 30 March 2018
Before I get to it, I'll admit that while I'd seen a lot of love for this book, I had just watched a negative review before I started. Because of that, I was probably looking a little harder than I normally would at the not-so-good things.

That said, this book was just ok for me. I had two main issues;
1) The world. I just didn't find it all that believable. I've never really been super keen on books that seem to throw in extra 'species' just because. Why do there need to be faeries, pixies, goblins, hobbits, elves, mermaids, toads etc etc etc? Yes, I know it didn't have all of those specifically, but you get my drift yes? I feel like it just added unnecessary complication.
I didn't mind the idea of the mortal world against the immortal realm of faerie (why is it called faerie?? C'mon, surely it could have been called SOMETHING other than that), but just popping over the water to get some 'mortal jeans' just didn't quite work for me. Also there are giant toads in the stable with the horses (the horses are also weird colours)...... mmmkay.
2) I didn't really like any of the characters (with the exception of the Court of Shadows), they're all kinda horrible. I'm the kind of girl who wants to root for someone, but I found it really difficult to get behind any of these characters, especially the protagonist Jude. It seemed like they went nuts when someone said something mean, but 'you killed my parents in cold blood?', oh I can live with that.

With those gripes aside, I can certainly see why people would like it. The pace is pretty good and there's enough action to keep you hooked - I still got through it quite quickly. The end gives a nice little cliffhanger and was probably my favourite part (if slightly predictable), so I'll likely read book two to see where it goes. It won't be at the top of my TBR though.
4 people found this helpful