TOP 500 REVIEWER
29 October 2016
Reviewed by Sharon Thérèse

Secrets! And there are plenty of ‘em in a book which is fast-paced, has a solid storyline and leaves everything to the reader’s imagination. The huge plus for me was going in blind. I had absolutely no idea what to expect and believe you me, I’m still wondering what a certain abbreviation means. I love it when an author has the knack for making me step back and think about what is coming next. Eva does this time and time again. And get this. . . I had no idea that this was her first novel! I’d read co-written works of hers with Andrea Smith and love their Yin Yang writing relationship, so therefore my eagerness to read Disheveled was tenfold.

"Are you feeling brave, princess?"

I got the impression that Cole's display of a certain lack of emotion towards his flatmate, Delilah, was because he wasn't on the same wavelength as her. Everything said and done, they’re besties and have been for four years. He loves her just the way she is and I loved him for that. However, she’s not as calculating as him. I presumed that neither of them wanted to rock the boat regardless of hmm. . . friendly feelings! So why may ask when they have the same tastes in movies and are constantly dropping Star Wars quotes to each other at the drop of a hat, act the way they do! I can tell you that they both drove me around the blinkin’ bend! I loved Cole’s subtlety. King of this trait, he is too big for his britches and thinks he has the upper hand. Or does he?

"Not fair! You cannot use Star Wars to get what you want."

Regardless of what Delilah believes to be true, nothing is at all what it seems. This man who wears a suit like a second skin is so dreadfully convincing that I was easily fooled by him. The best lawyer in town guides Delilah’s way of thinking without her ever realising it in ways I could never have imagined. Damn him! Discovering this man-whore's facets extraordinaire was like peeling layers of an onion to get to his inner core. Unfolding his true intentions was a pleasure. Swooning here! He can pick me among the most beautiful woman in Washington DC at his beck and call whenever he wants, too. He excels in his profession; is drop-dead-freakin' gorgeous, but is he who I thought he was?

"He has obviously been reading the Caveman issue of Men's Healthy Dose of Machismo."

Delilah has been having a dry spell for a little too long for her liking. Her way about solving this problem didn’t convince me that much and actually worried me. But hey ho . . . everyone to their own. I wasn’t surprised to be the only one who was concerned for her though. Guess who was? Her sassy character gave me exactly what I needed in a woman of her calibre. Intelligent and witty, her dreams of a solid relationship seemed to be an impossibility. Ms LeNoir developed her character to a tee! The only fault I found in Delilah was with one of her sensory perceptions. Here, I had trouble getting my head around certain scenarios but since I was being entertained to the hilt, I let it pass.

"Well, all's fair in love and war, sweetheart."

WOW, the sex-texting between Cole and Delilah was off the charts! For me, their messages were so well-thought-out and brought me so much enjoyment that they became what I loved most in this story. I would have liked more banter and a little less narration but saying that, the dialogue there is abounds with humour. I also found a couple of parts of the book a tinsy-winsy repetitive. But that being said, I couldn’t help but connect with these two delightful characters. I'm really looking forward to the follow-up as there is someone who intrigued me no end and definitely deserves to be heard. And I can't wait to see the cover as this one is going to be difficult to beat. Bravo Ms LeNoir!
0Comment Report abuse Permalink