10 August 2018
If I lived alone, I would love this device. It's pretty good, and although it doesn't follow along on everything I say, it works well. If I lived in the US with others, I would love this device too - I could add people to my household, and it would recognise their voices. This was actually one of the main reasons that I couldn't decide between this and Google Home, as they were so similar. I finally settled for the Spot because it had a screen. This was a mistake - it turns out that the Echo system can't discern between different people in Australia, nor can it hold multiple accounts. Again, to Amazon, Australians are not real people and we don't need legitimate things that work as advertised. Like Amazon.com.au itself, this represents another tokenistic way of Amazon trying to come to Australia with half-baked concepts and then being surprised that there isn't any real uptake.

The lack of user identification represents a serious flaw in this device, and I would have picked Google Home in a heartbeat, even without the screen. I've contacted Amazon asking for a definitive date by which they would provide these tools to Australians, and they're meant to respond in 12 hours. If it's anything longer than September as a guaranteed date, I'm taking this thing back to JB Hi-Fi this weekend and switching to Google Home.
13 people found this helpful