TOP 500 REVIEWER
17 May 2019
It’s a truth universally acknowledged that a story needs a who, what, when, where, why, and how.
Perhaps I was expecting too much, that the illuiminae files spoiled me, but I found AR lacking. Not least of all, of a why.
We know who the characters are. A great mix, whom I enjoyed but some of whom, such as Zila, who didn’t fit the initial description.
We know what, when, where, and how. But we don’t know why. Why are they doing what they’re doing? How do the superiors know the value Auri has? Further to that, Auri, for my mind, doesn’t play nearly as big a part as I think she needs to.
Like I said, I don’t know if my expectations were too high, going into this book, but it didn’t really do it for me. The more sci-fi-y aspects, the Ra’haam especially, was too weird for me. Can I try to get over it? I’ll try, but this book was a bit of a letdown for me.
If you’re a fan of Amie’s shattered earth series, this is for you. Those expecting Jay’s sharpness, it lacks a little here.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink