16 January 2019
This is the third book released by the author and the first written under the name "Rhonda Forrest" (the previous two books were released under Lea Davey). What can I say? I am so proud of what this woman can do. She writes these amazing rural Australian characters and these amazing everyday stories with these beautiful Australian settings and as I said with her previous two books "totally authentic". Yes, I do cringe sometimes when I hear the Aussie slang and speech - but it is not out of place in the book or with the characters speaking it who are just so well crafted.

This one was marketed more as romance - but I don't think it ticks the boxes of "Must haves" for the romance genre and I would put it more as contemporary fiction as the underlying focus (and even the title) is more on family connections.

While the characters in this book are deeply flawed (due to circumstances in growing up), it is such an interesting look at another aspect of Australian culture and of mining towns.

When I finished this book I was floored - the ending was so not what I was expecting and so it took me a few days to write this review as I was left pondering (which is the sign of a great book). However, the ending so fits and so works and even though it wasn't the ending I was expecting, it was the only ending that makes sense. So in love with the writing of this woman and I hope she gets the recognition she deserves up there with the great Aussie writers. Can not wait until her next book!
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink