28 December 2018
The Basic version is pretty limited, but it does get Prime Video to your big screen.
If you are looking for similar functionality to the Chromecasts and Google Home integration then this isn't the device for you.

I got this device mainly to bring Prime Video into the house on a big screen as a Prime subscriber.
This does work - but the device doesn't integrate well into an Australian Amazon household.
I expected the same integration with my other Amazon devices and apps I'd seen with Amazon's other devices.
Sadly I was quite disappointed.

The issues:

- Unavailable apps - A number of main stream apps like ABC iView, YouTube aren't available. (Stan has recently become available).

- No searching for apps, and no searching from the Home screen.
This makes it frustrating to find applications. You need to resort to the Amazon apps on your phone.
You'd think you could quickly find a Movie from the home screen.
Self contained apps like Netflix work as expected. The Prime Video app does have searching.

- No casting from Prime Video app (casting from the Netflix app works as expected)
It seems like a no-brainer for Amazon to support. But no you can't cast from the Prime Video app to the Fire TV.
You need to find it, start playing (or perhaps use your WatchList I didn't try this). Then go to the Fire TV and it will appear. Then launch it. sigh...

- No (or perhaps limited) Alexa voice support
Alexa integration doesn't happen out of the box (like expected). This looks like a limitation of the Basic model.
But seems to me to be a mainly software limitation. Alexa appears to integrate if you install the Fire TV app, and I can see it via the Alexa app (web or phone). However for me the voice commands via the FireTV app don't appear to do anything. Also talking to Alexa directly to search and play content doesn't work.
4 people found this helpful