TOP 50 REVIEWER
19 September 2018
Dragon Soul is a Fantasy RH, it could almost be called High Fantasy but falls a bit short of that genre. As I’m a big fantasy fan and a RH fan, I was really looking forward to this book. I know better than to get my hopes up but the blurb sounded promising and the few reviews I read backed it up, however, it only took the first chapter for me to realise it wasn’t going to be what I was expecting; i.e. I was a tad disappointed.

I’ve read books by Swallow before and have enjoyed them enough to feel tempted by new books by her, but Dragon Soul felt clunky and was full of info-dumps. I liked the protagonist well enough. Calla (love the name) may be lacking in skill but she’s not really lacking in her conviction to escape the limits of her hometown. Despite this, she talks about her family and her mother fondly enough, and yet when she’s taken from the town not once does she spare a thought for her family and what they must be thinking - I found it all very odd.

This is a slow burn RH, with some kissing and petting. There is a slight trigger warning due to one scene and, while there’s no cliffhanger as such, this book is definitely building up to the next one. I found the premise of the plot line interesting and like Swallow’s creativity, however I will probably not continue with the series.
3 people found this helpful