TOP 50 REVIEWER
25 February 2019
I was really enjoying this book, I mean really, really enjoying it. Then I got to the so called 'heartbreaking discovery' and went WHAT? NO! It wasn't the subject matter itself that was the problem. The lead up to it just made it not ring true, and it changed the whole tone of the book. Yes, I got annoyed! But then again maybe that's what the author wanted?

Anyway, to the book. We have Eleanor, an American author living in Paris at the time WW2 breaks out. When the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor she decides that German occupied Paris isn't the safest place to be, so tries to get out, heading south towards the Spanish border. She is with a group of others refugees including Henk, who she takes an instant dislike to. However, when they get separated from the rest, and he saves her life, they find themselves stuck with each other, and on the run from the Gestapo.

Look, I'm not going to say much more, except they, especially Eleanor, make some really stupid decisions. While I enjoyed them bickering like an old married couple, the places they decide to argue just defy logic. They seem to have no sense of place, and honestly deserved to get caught and shot early in the book. This book has many good qualities, and I did like the characters, despite their silliness. Yet 24 hours after finishing it, I'm still shaking my head, trying to figure what to make of it.

Anyway, I'll leave you with it to make up your own minds, but what I would have had as a 4 to 4.5 star book, I'm reducing to a 3 through sheer irritation.

My thanks to Simon & Schuster AU for a copy to read and review. The opinions are entirely my own.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink