Reviewed in Australia on 30 December 2018
As a keen follower of US politics, I have always held Michelle Obama in the highest regard. An inspired, earnest and approachable person, she is arguably the brightest as well as the most charismatic and influential amongst her peer First Ladies. I was very eager to dive into her memoir so I set undivided time to read it through over a couple of days. Whilst reading the first two parts I thought the story would lend itself beautifully to a film script, the third part - the part that revolves around her tenure as First Lady - felt just like a more impersonal account that read like a chronicle and left me wanting more. This latter section felt at times superficial and did not deliver the same emotional impact as the preceding parts did. I guess that this gear shift may have been a conscious editorial choice driven by the current political context, as she appeared to have tried to keep it as neutral as possible. Besides a few heart-warming anecdotes and a number of tragedies such as the shoot out at Sandy Hook (whose accounts by the point of view of the personal impact felt cut short), there wasn’t much insight of what thoughts kept evolving in the years of the presidency and becoming who she is today. Instead, the choice was to have a legacy-laden detailed account of the remarkable accomplishments of all the policies that both President Obama and she championed replacing what could have been some more private reflections to follow on those laid out in the first two parts of the book. I could not give it 4 1/2 stars due to Amazon’s rating system but despite my thoughts on the third part, I do recommend this book highly.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink