TOP 50 REVIEWER
17 May 2016
This was a very unusual book, the format of it is quite different to what I have read before. It switches between Molly's point of view in the present day, and Leo when he first met Molly, some 4 years earlier.

When I read the blurb, I thought it was going to be quite the emotional rollercoaster and although it had some emotional parts in it, somehow I wasn't as emotionally invested as I thought I would be. I found Leo quite unlikeable, although I could see what Molly saw in him. My sympathy was mostly for her, it has to be said. Being Australian, I could visualise Redfern (which has had a varied and troubled history over the years) as well as the posh areas of Sydney that the book refers to and I understood what the author was trying to do with introducing us to these two characters who could not have been more opposite if they tried.

I think it would have been good if the book had gone into Leo's life when he was away from Molly, when he was in war zones, what he felt and experienced. I can imagine that if you are living in that situation, it would be incredibly tough to come home and expect to just slot back into your suburban life again. It was eluded to somewhat, but I think in terms of the depth of the storyline, it would have been helpful to explore that a bit more. I also thought the relationship that Molly had with her father could have been covered more - after all, the way that we are brought up and parental expectations are very powerful influences in our lives. The amnesia aspect of things was an interesting idea.....would we try and re-write our history if we could? Make it better than it had been? I am glad that it wasn't all smooth sailing.

This was a good read, with an interesting subject. It was quite intense and poignant at times, but didn't quite reach the emotional depth I was expecting and hoping for.

I would like to thank NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC of this novel, in exchange for my honest review.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink