26 August 2016
I had a lot of fun revisiting Simon and Declan (and their gang of awesome friends) several years after the events of Tigers and Devils. I loved seeing them both so comfortable and happy in their now firmly established relationship. I also truly appreciated the fact that all the drama that drove this story forward was coming from sources outside of Simon and Dec’s solid and trust-filled relationship, and at no point did anything (or anyone) truly jeopardised their state of happy coupledom. This was a great relief, as there really isn’t anything I dislike more in my romance sequels than unnecessary relationship angst.

I’ll be the first to admit that I kind of adore Simon Murray, our protagonist and narrator, with his snarky, sarcastic wit, and his (mostly exaggerated) cynicism. This guy just gets me; he’s basically my spirit animal (if my spirit animal was a person). I relate to practically everything about his personality (barring the whole gay man thing – pish, semantics). I love that nothing of great importance really even needs to be going on within the storyline for me to be fully entertained by this guy and his everyday thoughts. I could very happily read about him forever.

This series has so much going for it; everything from great characters and quality writing, to a sense of humour that never lets up. Even more so than its predecessor, the laughs here were genuine and plentiful. I’ve also got to show some appreciation and applaud all of the excellent pop culture jokes and references which were so expertly delivered throughout the course of this story. I had a lot of fun reading this book, which was made evident by the ridiculous amount of highlighting that occurred.

Lastly, I really really love the author's detailed and accurate representation of Melbourne. It may simply be because I too am a proud Melburnian, but I feel like the city is in a sense its own character within this series. I fricken love that! It’s like my own comprehensive knowledge of the city assists in the book-to-brain visualisation process, and I love understanding and relating to every single Melbourne specific reference – I feel like I’m in on a joke that not every reader gets to be a part of, and I like it.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink