20 April 2014
Reading “The Road” for a second time, this time for my book club, it took me back to my secondary school English Literature ‘O’ level (the now defunct examinations that English and Welsh kids took at aged 16). Like such classics as “Fair Stood The Wind For France” which stick in my memory, reading “The Road” was such a consummate struggle that I can imagine it on future high school curricula for so much more than its literary value. This is a novel which cannot fail to build character in its readers.

Sometimes the moral of the story deliberately loses itself in endless trudging through the mud to who knows where, and the stoic silence between father and son is frighteningly reflective of today’s pre-Apocalyptic social disasters. Cormac McCarthy’s harrowing language has a compelling, stark beauty. A truly wonderful, horrible book which you’d like to forget but you can’t!
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink