1 April 2018
You couldn’t imagine my excitement that whilst house sitting for a friend of mine I came across this book in her library. It is a warm Sunday afternoon and I knew that reading about women who had thrown off the shackles of society to rise to the top of their respective fields was exactly what I wanted to do. With her cat sprawled next to me on the lounge and a cup of tea at hand, it was destined to be perfect.

Until I opened the book...

How disappointed I was to find that the stories of hardship and extraordinary courage that are behind these 100 champion women were reduced to nothing more than a one page fairytale written in language so degrading to the intended audience that it is a wonder that women wrote this at all. Are little girls so airheaded and stupid that they can’t even be told the biographies of amazing and pioneering women without it being in the form of a princess story? Do we need to hold their hands and coax them into reading about the masters of their own sex in such simplistic and lazy language so that they don’t get scared and run away from their own potential?

This book has completely failed in its mission, and anyone who thinks it is a beacon for young girls are as simple and as dull as the 300 words or less “stories” about some of the most influential and powerful women in all of history. I will not be purchasing this for my daughter and I will be recommending that none of my friends do either. It is an insult to the intelligence of the women in the book and then young girls who might be inspired by their histories.
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink