Reviewed in Australia on 6 July 2017
An inspiring story based on "the assertion" of true events. I nearly chose it as my Kindle First choice for April, in hindsight I wish I had as it was so utterly unique & unlike anything I have read before. 'Beneath a Scarlet Sky' is engrossing from page one. It is a brilliantly told story about the life of Pino Lella, describing young Pino's heroism in Nazi-occupied Italy. Pino and his brother Mimo devote themselves to the resistance despite their fears. It's truly remarkable how the brothers accomplished so much to thwart the evil that had overtaken their country.

This is one of the few stories that looks at life inside Italy during World War II. From the streets of Milan to the slopes of the Alps and around the villages and country roads of northern Italy, we get to see the Germans in action, the resistance, the partisans, and the advancing Americans. While this is going on there is a heartfelt love story with the beautiful Anna as part of the backdrop.

This book is based on real interviews with the main character. The writing takes a bit of getting used to. That being said once I got going I greatly enjoyed it. If however you are looking for happy endings, I do not recommend it. If you want to learn interesting history and would enjoy a powerful and incredible story of a man's life, then this is a must read. In fact, at times it read like a Hollywood spy story. The fact that this story could happen and then be kept secret for sixty years is quite remarkable. 5 Stars.
8 people found this helpful