Reviewed in Australia on 29 September 2016
This book is so good I bought the kindle version so that I could read it. Usually, I'd just rather listen to the audio but this was so good I didn't want to waste a single word. The plot was just amazing and the story so good that I could keep listening when I had to do something, I've never read anything like it. It kind of starts on a story arc, shifts to another one for ages, then shifts back to the first. It's like reading a Celtic knot and it's completely engrossing. Not a boring page among it. I've been lucky to find some awesome books this year but this is definitely my favourite. I haven't looked yet, but fingers crossed, the second book will be available. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes fantasy and who is looking for something original... even if they didn't like fantasy I'd still recommend it. It is so convincing in its detail (without there ever being a single information dump, no joke!) and the characters are so well thought out, that it doesn't read like the usual fantasy. It's like, the world in the book is real and you are reading about how real people respond to some really unusual things. Then there's political intrigue, betrayal, heartbreak, hope and more surprises than you can poke a stick at. Sometimes I actually really did laugh out loud or smile. It's amazing. A wonder. Yep, definitely. Get this book.
3 people found this helpful