20 May 2016
It has taken me a long time to get my head together to write this review. That is because 'A Time to Speak' packs so much into it that I didn't know where to start.
Parvin once again finds herself in trouble, torn between distrustful townsfolk and a grieving family. Things then go from bad to worse, as they tend to do in dystopian fiction, and Parvin finds herself in situations reminiscent of Auschwitz or the Russian work camps in Siberia.
It was not the physical courage shown by the characters, or even the budding and difficult romance between Parvin and Hawke that gripped me and held me in the story. It was the hard truth Brandes shows that difficulty brings out the best and worst in people. It is when we are stripped of every prop and are forced to rest solely in God that we discover who we truly are and what we are really capable of. The relationship between Parvin and her childhood bully I found particularly moving.
As with a 'A Time to Die' I found it a bit slow at the start of the book but once you do it is gripping. And that ending!
I have to say 'Nadine what are you doing?' That is all the warning you get but I have rarely come across such a startling ending. It is worth getting to and I am waiting eagerly for Book 3, not the least to see how Brandes manages the difficulty she has set herself.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink