22 May 2016
A stunning debut, which holds up well 35 years on. We have familiar territory with elves and dwarves and sorcerers, but it's told with such confidence, and with some unexpected story turns. It's a great, sweeping sword and sorcery epic: the story spans many years, expanding to cover the separate paths of about half a dozen central characters, coming of age and/or to power, witnesses or catalysts to the great events in the story.
I was fascinated with fantasy fiction and Dungeons and Dragons in my youth, so I remember adding this to my "to read list" when i saw the thick spine on my school library bookshelf, all those years ago. Now, in my 30's, even more deeply-acquainted with sci-fi and fantasy genre's, I have finally made time to give this one a go. Glad I did!
Suited for teen and upwards: charming and mature enough to hold an adult reader's interest, and not too dark or bloody for younger readers.
I see that Feist has expanded his world of Midkemia into a of fantasy writing career which spans 9 sagas, potentially 30 years writing, written around many of the same regions and characters first invented in this book. Not sure I'll read all his books in my lifetime -- there are so many -- but Magician is, in my opinion, worthy of the praise and attention.
2 people found this helpful