22 May 2017
This is the THIRD excellent legal thriller I’ve read in the last few months. In my reviews of both A Criminal Defense by William L Myers Jnr and Say Nothing by Brad Parks, I commented on the fact it’d been a while since I’d read any courtroom dramas / legal procedurals, but I’ve certainly been getting my fix recently and it’s reminded me how much I loved early work by Scott Turow and Steve Martini.

I’ve not read any of Cavanagh’s series featuring Eddie Flynn before but I’m keen to rectify that now as I really enjoyed this novel, the third in the series.

He’s not your typical lawyer, though they never are, are they? But while Eddie’s happy to skirt the rules where necessary he’s essentially a good guy, who believes in justice.

Cavanagh’s created a likeable and complex character in Eddie, but I also really REALLY liked the plot. Well plots, I guess, because questions are being raised about an old case Eddie inherited from his practice’s previous owner.

And of course things which should be pretty straight forward (ie. paying off kidnappers, releasing old files for an appeal), are far from that.

We’re given information via a couple of players from the old case, which involves arson and the death of a baby, so we know what’s coming and how things connect before the players in the book. As an aside, I occasionally forgot that they didn’t know and wondered why they couldn’t see the linkages, which frustrated me just a tad.

Cavanagh is seriously adept at the art of misdirection because in this outing he – along with Eddie – offer up many twists and turns and surprises than one could poke a stick at. If one was the type of person who poked sticks, that is.

Just when we think we’ve got it sorted in our minds we’re thrown off-kilter by a new revelation. I read the second two-thirds of this book in a sitting when I was planning to read but briefly. But I kept going and going, keen to unravel the complex mystery. Or two.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink