TOP 500 REVIEWER
Reviewed in Australia on 1 August 2019
I have high expectations when I read a Tess Woods novel, and this book was one of my two most anticipated titles for 2019... and it didn't disappoint.
It did take me a little while to work out the cast of characters. I have the attention span of a gnat when I start a new story and I spent the opening part of the book trying to keep track of which generation of Stone women I was in (although the dates at the start of chapters did help), and working out who was who.
CJs story was heartbreaking, as was what her grandfather and grandmother went through facing end-of-life decisions in the nursing home, and in both storylines I felt the authenticity shone through. It's hard to imagine what near-adult children go through navigating their fledgling path through adult relationships in the digital age and for my part, I felt Tess Woods got this just right. Same with concepts of dying with dignity and merciful death, which is something I think about all too often.
I finished this story over a couple of days, settling in to a solid block of reading today because the page-turning part had really kicked in, and I couldn't leave the characters (particularly CJ) alone on the page without knowing what was going on.
It's a lovely story and well deserving of all the fantastic reviews.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink