20 July 2016
The description of this book was so intriguing and original I had to buy it. I have read Julie's other two books however this third one is my favourite by far. Less humour then the other two books as it deals with more serious issues but I felt that made it authentic. The story is about abandoned identical twins who turn out as complete opposites - Clementine and Lucy. The characterisation in this book is excellent. I loved Clementine from the moment I met her, she's doing everything she can to be a good mother to little Allegra - not much money, but oodles of love - and when Peter appears with his offer to take her away from all that, and offer them a different life... well, you would, wouldn't you?
The writing is excellent - whether it's the great dialogue, wonderfully real conversations, or the vivid descriptions - you feel you can feel, smell, and see every scene. The plotting is perfectly paced with its secrets, well-timed reveals and all its twists and turns. Don't be concerned for one moment that Looking For Lucy is described as Book 3 of the Midhope novels - it's very much a stand-alone. 5 solid stars.
5 people found this helpful