TOP 500 REVIEWER
18 April 2019
In A Convenient Engagement, Amelia Buxton travels to Brighton with her aunt in order to find herself a husband. If she fails by the end of her stay, she must return home to marry a man twice her age. On her first morning out in Brighton, she meets Mr Adam Claridge and from there, she tries to help him find his missing sister.

I found the book well written, with enough humour and emotion to keep me interested. The story does not have as much depth as others I have read, but it was a nice easy read. I did like the main characters, especially as neither of them were from the Aristocracy or even from prominent families, which made the story quite different from the usual Regency books. Since I have read a lot of Regency romances, guessing where the sister had disappeared to wasn't difficult. It also made me despise the sister a little for being selfish and uncaring about her elderly sick father. I also wasn't impressed with the way Amelia agreed so readily to act in deceitful and dishonest ways, especially to help a complete stranger, nor was I satisfied with her repentance. However, this is a minor gripe and moves the story forward I suppose.

A good clean read, suitable for YA. Not the best I've read, but any book that keeps me engaged is good! The end was romantic enough for me to give 4 stars at least.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink