#1 REVIEWER
20 January 2018
‘Destination Simple’ is a wonderful guide about slowing down and simplifying your life. ‘If you change the flow of your days –making them a little simpler, lighter and easier –the physical decluttering will follow.’
Despite being a short book it is full of clear practical advice that I found easy to implement into my hectic life. I particularly enjoyed thinking about my rhythm rather than routines, implementing Brooke's advice has drastically helped me slow down while getting the important things done. If you’re looking for ways to reduce that busyness and feeling of being overwhelmed. The good news is, this book offers seven simply solutions.

As she so eloquently explains in her introduction:-
‘In the modern world we live life in the fast lane. We race to keep up with the Joneses. We are overworked, overconnected and overstressed, and we compete over how busy, important and sleep-deprived we are. But we don’t have to. An ever-growing number of people are opting out of a life lived at 110%. They are choosing to slow down, simplify, say no and focus on the things that are truly important.’

While I enjoyed and have implemented many of her suggestions there is one I’ve yet to master “THE RITUAL OF UNPLUGGING” - The ritual that involves taking time every day to unplug from our devices - unplugging from your laptop, email, smartphone and TV. However the great thing is she gives you permission to not master everything, but more importantly celebrate and expect that - because that’s the beauty of life.

Tilting was the technique I found most useful, if not liberating, as it means I don’t have to beat myself about not attaining that “balance” we’ve all been conditioned to think is utopia... in fact tilting is about ‘being flexible, while also rejecting the idea that everything needs to be perfectly balanced every single minute of every day and that anything less is a failure.’
In fact, I’ve learnt to embrace and ‘tilt’ towards activities and commitments I’ve liked and found meaningful, intentionally choosing to be there, present as needed.

And lastly I enjoyed how the book was peppered with quotes throughout from everyone from Lily Tomlin to Dale Carnegie and my favourite:-
‘One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.’ DALE CARNEGIE

It’s all of 88pages, can be read quickly and revisited often for inspiration - very worthwhile and highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful